Flat carbonated beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Been kegging for a few years now but have recently encountered a strange issue.

In my latest batch I carbed before going on holiday for two weeks disconnected the gas while away and was happy to see it was still 20 psi when I got home after reconnecting.

I poured a pint that that flowed fast Into the glass , minimal head and was flat when drinking.

couldn’t work it out so upped psi to 40 for two days. Just poured another, came out faster still but no head and completely flat?

can’t make head nor tail of this! It’s like the pressure is in the keg but not entering the beer??? Which is Impossible isn’t it?

can anyone help me out, it just doesn’t make sense?

If it helps my spunding valve read the same as the regulator when I double checked.

Been kegging for a few years now but have recently encountered a strange issue.

In my latest batch I carbed before going on holiday for two weeks disconnected the gas while away and was happy to see it was still 20 psi when I got home after reconnecting.

I poured a pint that that flowed fast Into the glass , minimal head and was flat when drinking.

couldn’t work it out so upped psi to 40 for two days. Just poured another, came out faster still but no head and completely flat?

can’t make head nor tail of this! It’s like the pressure is in the keg but not entering the beer??? Which is Impossible isn’t it?

can anyone help me out, it just doesn’t make sense?

If it helps my spunding valve read the same as the regulator when I double checked.
Corny or plastic keg?

corny. Brew number about 50 in one!
Yes - very strange - it is CO2 in your gas bottle isn't it - sorry to be so insulting

I am struggling to be helpful here - does the beer taste OK?

Any unusual ingredients (clutching at straws)

Temperature?

You don't live in the South do you - that's where they serve flat beer :hat:

I'm sure I have encountered a similar problem before. It perplexed me as well. Set the psi to about 25 or 30 and fire gas down the beer line. Vent the keg a bit first though, if it is currently set at 40. Vent it down to normal serving psi (my normal is about 12 psi). You should hear plenty of bubbles being created. Pour yourself a glass. It should be lively so be careful beer doesn't go everywhere. Hook the keg up again and leave the gas connected. Repeat the process if necessary. Bit of a pain but at least you should be able to pour carbonated beer.

I had this too! Drop the pressure, I use 10psi through a thinner pipe to reduce foaming. For a while I kept upping the pressure to make it fizzier. But it just pushed out out faster and made the beer lose its head fast. Turning the pressure down a lot gave be a beer which is still sparkling to the bottom of the glass.

It’s still happening. Pours out fast but tastes flat. It’s been on about 25 psi art least for a month. Down to 3c. It should be over carbed to feck but tastes flat.

I was thinking of transferring to another keg to see if that makes a difference.

might try a few of the above tips. I’ve got the party tap with different tube thickness so minimal head.

Just to add I my double check with the spunding valve can’t be noted because it looks like that broke as dial stuck on 10 psi even when it’s taken apart. Pretty sure my ref is fine though

I had this too! Drop the pressure, I use 10psi through a thinner pipe to reduce foaming. For a while I kept upping the pressure to make it fizzier. But it just pushed out out faster and made the beer lose its head fast. Turning the pressure down a lot gave be a beer which is still sparkling to the bottom of the glass.

if I take it off the gas, it still comes out fast. Did you also vent all the excess in the keg through the prv?

gas into the beer out line on the keg or the party tap?
Not sure how you would do it any other way but via the liquid out post. If you don't have universal posts, make sure you swap out the grey disconnect for a black one first or you will have a job getting it back off. And vent the line to remove any oxygen. Just a quick press on the disconnect valve should be enough.

I also think transferring it to another keg is a good shout. Or readjusting the lid a bit. Have you checked the lid and posts for leaks since you found out your spunding valve is broken?

Have you checked the lid and posts for leaks since you found out your spunding valve is broken?

yes i checked with another regulator - a mini reg i use with capsules sometimes, both came out at 25 psi. and the speed it flies out backs that up too!

I had this once a few years back and couldn't resolve it until I switched the gas to the beer in line and set at 10psi for a week and this solved the problem but still can't figure out what it was as I have used the same keg numerous times since.

I was thinking this too. They haven't given you a nitrogen fill perhaps?
If it's maintaining 20psi for weeks, as you say, and not carbonating then that's just weird.

same gas ive been using for a year with no problems. it is indeed very odd.

This weekend im going to transfer to another keg to see how i gte on. i also have another beer on tap that's carbed up fine, I might try to overcarb that just to see what happens as its nearly finished anyway.

I had this once a few years back and couldn't resolve it until I switched the gas to the beer in line and set at 10psi for a week and this solved the problem but still can't figure out what it was as I have used the same keg numerous times since.

do you mean beer out line?

Try force carbing it this way. Crank the psi up to 30 and put the keg on its side. Set a timer for 5 mins and roll it back and fourth with your foot. Pour a sample. It should have a decent amount of carbonation. The first sample is likely to be the most frothy so pour a second sample. This is what I normally do to speed up the carbing process. It doesn't always give the desired level of carbonation but then I just vent the keg down to serving psi, hook the gas back up and pop it back in the fridge.

Do you still have plenty of gas in the tank?
Are there any obstructions in the gas line?
Is the gas disconnect faulty?
Is the gas post faulty?

I would be inclined to fire gas down the liquid post first. That really should let you pour at least one glass of carbed beer. If it does, then I would roll it for 5 mins. But if neither worked, I would transfer to another keg and strip down the keg, disconnects and gas line.

Cheers chaps. I’ve now got a list of things to try this weekend. I’ll let you know how I get on!

Latest posts

Back