Flavoring a Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMP Brewery

Just realised I can put something here :)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After brewing my first Saison, I really like the style (and so does the OH) so am brewing another this weekend.

I was going to brew something like an Orange one, but then if it wasn't to my taste it would be a waste.. Had the idea of brewing something similar to my last one and then we could add some sort of flavoring to the glass when pouring for example :- Orange juice or raspberry puree.

Has anyone done something similar, did it work and what did you add?

Watching this with interest as I hadn't thought of doing that. I had a lemon and rosemary saison last year and it was lovely. I've been worried to try making one as I have heard that using lemon can be a fine line between a nice beer and tasting like Cif. This could be a good way to try things out.

I’ve done this successfully with ciders. I’ve not tried it with saisons I’m afraid so can’t answer from experience but I see no reason why you couldn’t based on my experience with cider.

Edit: I should have said I used ordinary fruit squash / cordials. For cider, cherry and blackcurrant worked well.

I have added different fruits and herbs with mixed results
Coriander
Rosemary
Orange peel and Amarillo
Cranberry
Prunes to a dark saison.

You can also experiment with hops, my favourite is hallertau blanc. I will using Nelson sauvin tomorrow to try.

My advice would be to experiment and do a split batch. If using rosemary a little goes a long way.

I think tinctures might be a better way to go for this.

Fruit puree seems like it will affect the overall experience too much, specifically carbonation.

1kg of frozen raspberries in 5l of saison.
I'll let you know how it turns out

Attachments

• 16523754201102683099885951663326.jpg
    16523754201102683099885951663326.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 21
Coriander
Rosemary
Orange peel and Amarillo
Cranberry
Prunes to a dark saison.

You can also experiment with hops, my favourite is hallertau blanc. I will using Nelson sauvin tomorrow to try.

My advice would be to experiment and do a split batch. If using rosemary a little goes a long way.

Hallertau Blanc is 👌 but keep it quiet!

I’ve done this successfully with ciders. I’ve not tried it with saisons I’m afraid so can’t answer from experience but I see no reason why you couldn’t based on my experience with cider.

Edit: I should have said I used ordinary fruit squash / cordials. For cider, cherry and blackcurrant worked well.

OK.. Cheers, got some Pink Grapefruit so I'll give that a try.

Coriander
Rosemary
Orange peel and Amarillo
Cranberry
Prunes to a dark saison.

I only have one keg so that's the reason for adding at the pouring stage.. I do like the sound of Orange & Amarillo though.. Thanks for the Hallertau Blanc recommendation I'll make a note of that

Off topic but charred rosemary is nice in a G&T 🙂

Why not make one without flavouring and let the yeast do it's thing.

I do have one fermenting now, a table spoon of pepper and zest of a whole lemon.

Watching this with interest as I hadn't thought of doing that. I had a lemon and rosemary saison last year and it was lovely. I've been worried to try making one as I have heard that using lemon can be a fine line between a nice beer and tasting like Cif. This could be a good way to try things out.
My first original recipe was a lemon-rosemary blonde ale that turned out quite good.
Cif; not sure what that is but can't be good.

Pubs have been doing it for years. Cider and black? Years before 'dark fruits' became a thing. Lager and lime? Again years before **** watery lager was served with a slice of lime or lemon jammed down its bottle neck.

Saison with a flavouring? Just bung your chosen poison in a glass and pour away!!!
You could make fancy coriander and orange infusions in a pint pot beforehand and decant some in as required. If it doesn't work you have lost a pint of flavoured water you made up

Latest posts

Back