Flavoring a Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added some red grapefruit squash. SWMBO’s verdict it tastes like Elvis Juice 😀

937927D6-0976-4D08-BE66-A037B7AB5B63.jpeg

Watching this with interest as I hadn't thought of doing that. I had a lemon and rosemary saison last year and it was lovely. I've been worried to try making one as I have heard that using lemon can be a fine line between a nice beer and tasting like Cif. This could be a good way to try things out.
What's Cif? Do you mean Jif?

Elderflower works brilliantly. Just add at the end of the boil.
Just clearing my elderflower saison and getting it on tap later this week. Hope it turns out okay. I followed the Cazeau Saison recipe from brew your own.
I've got a brett fermented saison flavoured with a tree flower stamens. Pohutakawa is the plant, a right pain to pick, hope it's worth the effort, we'll find out in about 3 months.

That, my friend, should be simply immense. A great beer.
If it were only as simple as "throwing more in makes it better" (ponders something about that American culture...).

I am hoping for greatness, but not expecting it. It's in the lap of the Gods now. I'm expecting at least a month of conditioning to get the best out of this one

After brewing my first Saison, I really like the style (and so does the OH) so am brewing another this weekend.

I was going to brew something like an Orange one, but then if it wasn't to my taste it would be a waste.. Had the idea of brewing something similar to my last one and then we could add some sort of flavoring to the glass when pouring for example :- Orange juice or raspberry puree.

Has anyone done something similar, did it work and what did you add?
Have added Raspberry concentrate (from Polish food section in Tesco - it lists adding to beer in the instructions on the bottle!) to the glass and poured a basic Saison on top. Too much can make it overly sweet so, a tablespoon per 330ml bottle gave a nice light raspberry flavour. Quick way to provide two Saison options. Well received on sunny day bbq! Been thinking about adding a bottle at end of boil to see if the flavour survives fermentation. Contains quite a bit of sugar so might dry it out a bit…

I’m actually thinking I’ll do a split batch now.. I have a 23l blonde ale recipe already weighed out that I may just chuck a saison yeast at and do 10l elderflower and 10l raspberry fv additions

Last summer I split a saison four ways, one plain, one with rhubarb, one dandelion flower tea and one Citra /Amarillo hop tea. They were all really nice but I decided my favourite was probably the plain one. Admiral for bittering and no other hops. The yeast was Wyeast 3711. Less is often more.

But I will be making a saison again this summer and I'll split again. Sour cherry and raspberry are both on the cards. Lemon possibly. I've got thyme and rosemary in the garden.

Adding to the glass is definitely an option. Adding syrups to Berliner Weisse is a traditional practice. Raspberry or Woodruff (a plant) are the traditional syrups, red or green. There are recipes online.

You can also add a slice of lemon or orange to the glass, as with Hoegaarden.

And I'm sure there are many other flavours you can add in the glass, limited only by the imagination.

Adding to the glass is definitely an option. Adding syrups to Berliner Weisse is a traditional practice. Raspberry or Woodruff (a plant) are the traditional syrups, red or green. There are recipes online.

Got a load of Lemon Verbena in the garden, think I’ll try making a syrup from that and see what it’s like.

1kg of frozen raspberries in 5l of saison.
I'll let you know how it turns out
Very very raspberyish. This is from the fermenter as it bottled today. Quite sour (which is good for this) which I expect to be masked by the carbonation. I reckon a month, then it'll be good to take camping

Attachments

• IMG_20220528_151951.jpg
    IMG_20220528_151951.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back