Flavour identification

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is potentially a bit of a strange question but recently I've developed a liking for a background flavour that comes through in certain beers. It's not an obviously hoppy or bitter flavour but almost an earthy or even dusty flavour. The only commercial example I can think of that had it was the M&S/Adnams Christmas Ale I had recently.

I am assuming it comes from the hops but I can't be sure. I've done brews with Jester that had it and Styrian Goldings (which I think were probably Celeia) that had the flavour. I haven't experimented enough to put my finger on how it's developed but I mostly think it comes out during the 60 minute boil. Although I'm not sure if it is maybe even a bi-product of oxidation or an interaction with the water profile. It seems more noticeable in darker beers.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? 🤣
It's too hard to describe but I'd love to know what it is!

This is potentially a bit of a strange question but recently I've developed a liking for a background flavour that comes through in certain beers. It's not an obviously hoppy or bitter flavour but almost an earthy or even dusty flavour. The only commercial example I can think of that had it was the M&S/Adnams Christmas Ale I had recently.

I am assuming it comes from the hops but I can't be sure. I've done brews with Jester that had it and Styrian Goldings (which I think were probably Celeia) that had the flavour. I haven't experimented enough to put my finger on how it's developed but I mostly think it comes out during the 60 minute boil. Although I'm not sure if it is maybe even a bi-product of oxidation or an interaction with the water profile. It seems more noticeable in darker beers.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? 🤣
It's too hard to describe but I'd love to know what it is!
The yeast?

The yeast?
Ah, I overlooked that possibility but yes could well be. I think I used Liberty Bell in all the ones I've tasted it in. Could be coincidence as I also used Jester in all of those too. Yeast is highly significant for various subtle and not so subtle flavours.

Still haven't got to the bottom of it really.
Just had a Shipyard IPA and it has it, but subtle. My last few brews I used Liberty Bell and it's there. I'm not sure it's yeast as I've had different beers from certain breweries, some have it some don't. Sure there's other variables like fermentation temp

Its vaguely similar to a mosaic dry hop flavour except it's present in beers that aren't particularly dry hopped if at all, and much more subtle. There's just no way of putting it into words 🤔

Last edited:
It's likely Fuggle, the most earthy of all hops. And.... Styrian Golding IS actually Fuggle, with some terroir differences since it's grown elsewhere.

It's likely Fuggle, the most earthy of all hops. And.... Styrian Golding IS actually Fuggle, with some terroir differences since it's grown elsewhere.
Very interesting. My first ever AG brew was Fuggles and I didn't pick it up. I think il just experiment and try to narrow down the possibilities. It's such a hard thing to put into words, I could never be a proper beer judge!

Latest posts

Back