Flavouring Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanhead

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was a long time homebrewer, gave up for a bit, and have now decided to return to a hobby I really love.

I think this time I'm going to be sticking to cider, particularly, fruit flavoured cider.

However, I recall during my time previously making ciders, making apple cider wasn't an issue, it was when I flavoured it e.g. strawberry, berries, mango, passion fruit etc.

I found some were hit and miss in the flavours of these fruits transferring to the cider post fermentation.

So this time I want to get it right!

If I'm making a base cider, at which point do I flavour it (before fermentation or post) and by how much (quantities). Is there a science to flavouring your cider please?

Any help or direction to resources would be appreciated.

Beans

I'm only doing my second flavoured (turbo) cider so have little experience. From trawling these pages (& elsewhere) I've decided to try Lowicz syrup. Comes in raspberry, cherry & blackcurrant. Find it in the "world food" isle at Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda etc (if you haven't a Polish shop nearby). I've put a bottle (400ml) into 10 litres of apple juice. As with my first TC, I've just dropped it in at the outset. I've have read suggestions of adding later after the main fermentation is done or using the syrup for priming instead of apple juice. I guess that's something to try & find out the results for yourself.

However, I'm a beginner too. Others can give more seasoned advice. There's a great spreadsheet available on this site for calculating your ABV & priming which I'll recommend.

Back