Flexitarian Diet "the planetary health diet"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Live longer and save the planet, i think i would rather lose the years i would have gained if i ate the diet below than live in misery waiting for it to happen.

A bit of meat, a lot of veg - the flexitarian diet to feed 10bn -

A diet has been developed that promises to save lives, feed 10 billion people and all without causing catastrophic damage to the planet.

Scientists have been trying to figure out how we are going to feed billions more people in the decades to come.

Their answer - "the planetary health diet" - does not completely banish meat and dairy.

But it is recommending we get most of our protein from nuts and legumes (such as beans and lentils) instead.

Their diet needs an enormous shift in what we pile on to our plates and for us to turn to foods that we barely eat.

What changes am I going to have to make?

If you eat meat every day then this is the first biggie. For red meat you're looking at a burger a week or a large steak a month and that's your lot.

You can still have a couple of portions of fish and the same of chicken a week, but plants are where the rest of your protein will need to come from. The researchers are recommending nuts and a good helping of legumes every day instead.

There's also a major push on all fruit and veg, which should make up half of every plate of food we eat.

Although there's a cull on "starchy vegetables" such as the humble potato or cassava which is widely eaten in Africa.

Full article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46865204

ttttttt.jpg

Its the scientists again telling us what is good for us and what is not, i remember it wasn't that long ago they finally admitted after years of pushing it you do not need to eat 5 a day just eat healthily, do we really need scientists to tell us this, i think not.

What about the millions of tons the supermarkets chuck away...? Theres plenty to go round it's all in the wrong places or owned by the few to be sold to the masses.

And what's all this crapola about feeding billions more people and supporting a burgeoning global population? Why??? Isn't there enough of us critters anyway? What we really need is some dreadful pandemic or all-out nuclear war, maybe even an asteroid or super-volcanic eruption. Pressing the ol' reset button, know what I'm sayin'? As well as fixing the problem, it'd be like being in a sci-fi movie... neat!

I think eventually it'll become less about the softly softly message of it'll be good for your health and it'll more be about look the ground water is depleted, half a billion people are starving in some parts of the world and the sky is catching on fire too. Personally I don't know what the optimal diet for humans is, I think it might be a bit different for everybody, but you can figure out what the optimal diet for the planet is going to be. I don't really support the idea that the world is overpopulated, we've got less of a population problem and more of an equality one.

Either way we'll get phased out and eventually become dinosaurs to the next generations with outdated beliefs and behaviours which is the fate of pretty much everybody anyway. I went back and actually bothered to read the article and despite a brief mention of saving 11 million lives a year through reducing heart attacks and cancers it is pretty much all about keeping the planet inhabitable rather than making us healthier.

I feel that as I get older things like this will become depressingly common and younger people especially will be on board because they'll have known no different and they'll view me like a relic from the bad old days. Granddad doesn't like to eat insect protein in a bap, he is basically worse than hitler.

Gunge...lamb is also an acceptable alternative. I do hope you will include a nominal chunk of potato...
As for the human diet...we are designed to eat everything. It's the processed rubbish that doesn't help...sugar,fats and stuff that used to be something else. I don't think things will change as there's too much money involved.

So far today I've scoffed an entire 400g bag of dry roasted peanuts. Do I win a prize and a badge saying "I helped save the planet, me"?

So far today I've scoffed an entire 400g bag of dry roasted peanuts. Do I win a prize and a badge saying "I helped save the planet, me"?

Maybe not when the peanuts have done their thing and you are blowing air biscuits later. :laugh8:

The problem with living longer is that the extra years come at the end when you just can’t physically do all the things that you want to do…

And what's all this crapola about feeding billions more people and supporting a burgeoning global population? Why??? Isn't there enough of us critters anyway? What we really need is some dreadful pandemic or all-out nuclear war, maybe even an asteroid or super-volcanic eruption. Pressing the ol' reset button, know what I'm sayin'? As well as fixing the problem, it'd be like being in a sci-fi movie... neat!
If we get a "new" forum member by the name of Nostradamus....WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Back