Floaters!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhenson22

Reaction score
Fairly new to AG brewing.
Last two brews have been two very similar versions of a Sierra Nevada pale clone. Both fermented with us-05.
I use a hop spider, immersion chiller and have a bazooka filter for transferring to FV, I also sieve on transfer to FV.

Both brews are showing these floaters, pictured. It is a bit worse than the picture shows. The beer hasn't cleared yet but has been chilling in keg at 3c for about a week and was kegged (avoiding any tub transfer) about 1 week before that.

Any tips/advice? I realise this is still young, but previous brews did not do this at this stage, although still hazy. Is this a us-05 thing?

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers

Attachments

• 15658917380547874375997393122181.jpg
    15658917380547874375997393122181.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
US05 although a clean yeast is not as flocculant as SO4 for instance and by the looks of it it could quite possibly be yeast in suspension which was transferred to your corny keg and has settled out on the bottom being drawn up when you pour.
I would possibly try lowering your serving pressure though it may clear as its quite possibly sitting below the dip tube and being disturbed by the output pressure when you are pulling a pint.

The beer itself appears cloudy indicating that it's not conditioned and ready yet. If the keg draws from the bottom then it may be clear at the top and cloudy at the bottom. This is frustrating when you'd like to drink it right now as it forces you to wait until it's really ready and will taste better anyway.

Give it time and it'll settle out. Next time consider adding finings to your keg - they can work wonders.

US05 although a clean yeast is not as flocculant as SO4 for instance and by the looks of it it could quite possibly be yeast in suspension which was transferred to your corny keg and has settled out on the bottom being drawn up when you pour.
I would possibly try lowering your serving pressure though it may clear as its quite possibly sitting below the dip tube and being disturbed by the output pressure when you are pulling a pint.

Thanks, I will give that a try, but that does make sense regarding the US-05 as I have not had this issue with other brews, even when straight out of fermentation. Are there any other dried yeasts with similar properties you recommend (I'd like to do a bit of a comparison test)

The beer itself appears cloudy indicating that it's not conditioned and ready yet. If the keg draws from the bottom then it may be clear at the top and cloudy at the bottom. This is frustrating when you'd like to drink it right now as it forces you to wait until it's really ready and will taste better anyway.

Give it time and it'll settle out. Next time consider adding finings to your keg - they can work wonders.

Thanks, looks like it will be a waiting game then. I've stupidly let my stocks get low so current brews are going straight from FV into keg and into fridge same day. Need to get brewing!
Do you think I could open up the keg and try some finings now? Or have I left it too late?

Back