Floating dip tube in corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a couple of fermentasurus floating dip tubes to use in my corny kegs. I replaced the beer out dip tube with a gas in dip tube, attached the silicon hose from the floating dip tube to this and tried a transfer of starsan from this keg into another to test it and purge the air from the keg. When the keg gets to almost half way it starts sucking in CO2 and frothing, I opened it up and the inlet to the silicon hose is hanging to the side rather than below the float.

Should I be using a shortened beer out dip tube so the silicon hose is always coming from the bottom? Maybe a small weight on the inlet to the silicon hose to keep it down? I was hoping to avoid cutting my beer out tubes.

Anyone using these floating dip tubes in a corny who can offer some advice?

Thanks

Hmm. That’s weird! I’ve used them before and have never had this problem. Is the silicone tubing getting stuck on the side of the keg? I currently use the CaskWidge floats as they have an integrated filter, which I like. They do have a natural curve to the tubing though, so you have to make sure it is installed correctly so it doesn’t end up sticking on the side of the keg. Could you post a picture?

I opened it again today to get a photo and it is now sitting properly! The silicon tube was sticking to the sides before, I even pulled it back up and it slipped back down again.

This evening I will refill the keg with starsan and try again. Im wondering if when the silicon is new it is a bit sticky, I did give it a quick clean but I will try giving it a proper rub with a cloth to see if that helps.

I use these and had similar problems to begin with, I now weigh the float down with a SS washer or nut which keeps the end of the tube submerged.

I have about 6 kegs I have converted to the floating dip tube method. I find I have similar problems but it is usually with the newer taller and narrower corny kegs.I still need to experiment to find the best length of silicone tubing. I also have a couple of cask widge floats which don't work so well in the taller kegs. I am still experimenting though as currently filled kegs get emptied, I will try adding a weight as cheeseyfeet recommends

Latest posts

Back