Floaty doughy stuff

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciaran12s

Regular.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what/why I've got this stuff floating on my beer after fermentation? It's only ever happened with my two AG 'S

Could it be more yeast as with kits I've used the 7g pack but with the AG I've used 11g packets?

Is it due to having two failed attempts at filtration of the cooled wort during transfer to the FV? Large amounts of **** from the bottom of the boiler did get through on both occasions.

I'll be bottling this one tomorrow night, the previous is still carbing/conditioning but tastes pretty good and isn't particularly unclear if that makes sense.

20171019_135602.jpg

20171019_135553.jpg

looks like yeast to me.. when co2 bubbles form some will stick to yeast cells and drag them upto the surface where surface tension will keep them as they continue to consume and multiply, some strains are very prone to it and are known as top croppers as this is the best yeast cells for viability to harvest for future brews. with loys of trub and break material in the brew that too could have been drawn to the surface with the rising co2 and co mingled with the yeast to result in the 'dirty' mess you have pictred.

when draining from a kettle try letting the brew sit for 1/2 an hour after chilling so all the hop debris and break material can start to drop out resulting in a partial pre-filter of trub to aid the retaining of as much as possible in the kettle,

have fun bottling.. all will be good im sure as you have done the taste test ;)

Which yeast you using? and how long you leaving in primary to ferment before bottling ?

The first was an MJ can't remember which. British ale yeast anyway. The second has been safale s04.

The first was 3 and half weeks roughly. The second one will be two weeks tomorrow.

The second was much clumpier and easily skimmed but the first broke up quite easily and I couldn't remove it all. I'd seen posts about surface tension and everything so I give it a stir and whacked it etc but it kept reappearing.

It hasn't caused any bother yet I'm just wondering why it's happening. The only difference from the kits is the larger yeast packet and the fact the wort had a fair bit of sediment in it.

Not used MJ yeast myself but have used Safale S04 and don't remember seeing that - I would expect most stuff to drop out of suspension 2-3 weeks into fermentation but obviously each ferment can be different based on ingredients used, fermentation temperature etc.

Might be worth transferring to secondary vessel and leaving another week before bottling.

Thanks for the feedback. As I say I bottled the first batch and it was fine. So I'll bottle this tonight or it'll be another 4 weeks probably and I've already dry hopped.

Should get a brew on tomorrow which I've decided I'm going to siphon with a mesh strainer through a sieve so that should get it pretty clear. See how it goes from there.

Back