Flooding

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon12

THBF Sponsor
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
This is where I am now picture from yesterday in the building you can see the roof above the tree just to the right of the middle.
81151283_2539232892841427_5598320309322121216_o.jpg

Again behind the tree on the right
80435883_2539233792841337_4992498366014291968_o.jpg

This is the wettest winter I can remember.

I notice because I ride a motorcycle and live near a floodplain. Normally, I'm riding right through to Xmas and then lay the bike up for 2 months due to the salt on the road. This year I stopped riding in early Oct because the roads round here are a mudbath with all the farm traffic and rain. My main roads to work and school normally get flooded once every 2-3 years, this autumn we've been cut off 3 times already and the foodwater is rising again. The ground is so wet I can't see the flood threat going away until spring.

Looks worse at the back than the front.
I presume it's a washout inside. Sorry mate. asad1

Looks horrendous. Sunny Brittany's just as bad. At least we're on a hill, here, but roads shut all around. It's absolutely hissing down as I write. Got the turkey and sprouts in this morning and now one big lock-in until Easter (or until the beer runs out, which won't be any time soon).

Looks like I spoke to soon the glass washer doesn't seem to heat up any more.

Yes Sky came by earlier and as I said to them everything is sorted, to be honest I think I got more rubbish cleared by others then the effort I put in to the clean up but I do owe a lot of pints. The glass washer even seems to work again but it makes alot more noise than it did before. So over all I lost a days trade, alot of sleep and a good few pints, despite looking like a disaster yesterday its all good now. @London did you actually see me on the news, I was half asleep and they must be desperate to show my interview.

Yes I actually saw you on the news, they were in Edenbridge and said you were a micro brewery it was only when I saw the your sign I realize it was you.

I hear the flooding in Venice this year was pretty bad.
1024px-acqua_alta_in_piazza_san_marco-original.jpg

You would think they would have got used to it by now.

I think it's something we are so going to have to get used to, I don't recall flooding being so widespread when I was a kid.

:( Sorry to hear that. I hope you are at least better prepared for such events now.
Government would rather spend money on a train set than more practical flood defences for towns from what I've seen.

Where I live (Burton on trent), the government have just started a £30 million scheme to improve our flood defences. It should reduce the flood risk for 5,500 properties currently facing possible flooding from the River Trent, including 4,500 homes and 1,000 businesses. It's part of the Environment Agency’s £2.6bn investment programme into flood defences across the country. So hopefully you'll see some spending your way soon.

We have these barriers that we’ve put up, we live very close to a river (Surrey) and it is about 10cm lower than our house at the moment. The garden is already looking more and more like a swamp. Next doors is a lake.

We also have pumps under the house that are supposed to switch on when the water level gets to a certain height, however we have never seen them come on.

I feel really sorry for anyone who has been flooded out due to the recent heavy rains; especially those who are suffering on the second, third or even more occasions!

However, the number of new houses that have been built in the UK in obviously unsuitable locations is legion; yet they all had Planning Permission!

Many years ago I saw three photographs that demonstrated this foolishness only too well. They were:
  1. Photograph of a small road sign with a duck-pond in the background.
  2. Photograph of the same road sign with the duck-pond drained and houses built on the site.
  3. Photograph of the same road sign with the newly built houses surrounded by water.
The name on the road sign was "Pond Lane"!

Latest posts

Back