Flow control taps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie23

Reaction score
Hi all

Seems to be a lot of keg related posts on here at the moment - clearly we've all got sick of bottling during covid19...

Into my question. Are flow control taps worth the extra dough? I've seen mixed opinions on the matter. I normally carb my beers between 2 and 3 Vol, rarely have I gone higher.

Cheers

Ron

I've got flow control taps on my kegerator, I use them to provide quite a restriction and they work really well. The only issue I had was when I overcarbonated and ended up pouring mostly foam no matter how slowly I poured.

They might be worth it. I used two of them for over a year and they can reduce foaming though I have a feeling that the internal mechanism itself contributes a bit towards foaming.

I've since changed them for non-flow control Intertaps not because of the performance of the tap but because the internals were chrome plated brass not stainless steel. The plating had dissolved over the year exposing the brass, which is an alloy of lead.

The SS Intertaps pour my Pilsners carbonated at 20psi at 6C with just the right amount of head formation.

They might be worth it. I used two of them for over a year and they can reduce foaming though I have a feeling that the internal mechanism itself contributes a bit towards foaming.

I've since changed them for non-flow control Intertaps not because of the performance of the tap but because the internals were chrome plated brass not stainless steel. The plating had dissolved over the year exposing the brass, which is an alloy of lead.

The SS Intertaps pour my Pilsners carbonated at 20psi at 6C with just the right amount of head formation.

I went for the chrome intertaps. Wish I'd read this 3 months ago!

I've got the SS ones, thought it was worth the extra to have flow control in case it was useful. I haven't checked though, how much more are they?

Mine were 53 quid a pop for the complete set up from Malt Miller. I went for the normal tap and flow control on the disconnect.

I went for regular SS intertaps without flow control for a couple of reasons.

1. I prefer the look of the standard taps
2. The standard taps can be fitted with a self-closing spring, the flow control model can’t

I use a flow control disconnect, which means I get the benefit of flow control whilst being able to also use a spring to auto-close. I got my intertap from AliExpress for £16. I think shipping was about £3 and it got to me in about three weeks. It works flawlessly and came in original Intertap packaging. I was very impressed.

The seller was ‘BrewMaster’ in case that helps anyone else who’s looking for one.

Last edited:
I went for regular SS intertaps without flow control for a couple of reasons.

1. I prefer the look of the standard taps
2. The standard taps can be fitted with a self-closing spring, the flow control model can’t

I use a flow control disconnect, which means I get the benefit of flow control whilst being able to also use a spring to auto-close. I got my intertap from AliExpress for £16. I think shipping was about £3 and it got to me in about three weeks. It works flawlessly and came in original Intertap packaging. I was very impressed.

The seller was ‘BrewMaster’ in case that helps anyone else who’s looking for one.
They will be the forgeries of Intertap.
Over here Perlick sent letters out last week for all stockists to destroy the FC Intertap because of a breach of patent design. For all those which have been sold they are demanding royalties from suppliers.
So I wouldn't be rushing out to buy an Intertap FC, there are not going to be any spares for them in the future.

They will be the forgeries of Intertap.
Over here Perlick sent letters out last week for all stockists to destroy the FC Intertap because of a breach of patent design. For all those which have been sold they are demanding royalties from suppliers.
So I wouldn't be rushing out to buy an Intertap FC, there are not going to be any spares for them in the future.
I think you’ve discussed this on another forum - or someone else has.

I don’t believe them to be ‘forgeries’. The tap I received is an Intertap tap - or if it isn’t someone has gone to an immense amount of trouble to make an exact copy of an Intertap tap that is made out the same materials (or at least the taps share the same density as they are the same size and weigh the same), functions in exactly the same way and comes in exactly the same box. It is indistinguishable from the Intertap taps I have used, cleaned, taken apart and been very pleased with over the past few years.

Either way it functions perfectly and I am very happy with it.

I don’t believe them to be ‘forgeries’. The tap I received is an Intertap tap - or if it isn’t someone has gone to an immense amount of trouble to make an exact copy of an Intertap tap that is made out the same materials (or at least the taps share the same density as they are the same size and weigh the same), functions in exactly the same way and comes in exactly the same box. It is indistinguishable from the Intertap taps I have used, cleaned, taken apart and been very pleased with over the past few years.

I haven't discussed it before, there is a Chinese site, Keg King nothing to do with Keg King Australia which sell the Intertap (genuine) I have had one of the copies and the thread was slightly different. not saying they are not OK. I made a mint importing copies of GHB hair straighteners they are about $240 for the genuine article $10 for the copy, the copy even came in a box, with a how to use video, and cheekily the hologram and sign saying beware of copies.

Aliexpress, Wish and DHGate are awash with very convincing forgeries, for things you wouldn’t even expect.

My friends and I have bought a number of football shirts from DHGate, the quality varies from seller to seller but for the most part they are practically indistinguishable.

If they look the part, work, seem good quality and you haven’t had any issues with them I wouldn’t be that bothered.

Thanks guys - really interesting to read about your experiences. I don’t think I’d buy a keg or regulator from AliExpress due to the severity of problems which could occur if they were to be faulty, but at the end of the day a tap’s a tap. Identical copy or not it works great, so I’m not worried.

Oh - and let me know if you still have any of those straighteners knocking about foxy, my wife’s after a pair!

Last edited:
There seems to be two kinds of Chinese fakes.
Cheaper material and not as well made fakes. And then things made on the same product line as the originals, but sold without giving a cut to the patent owner.

Funny thing is you can't get Lego copies
There seems to be two kinds of Chinese fakes.
Cheaper material and not as well made fakes. And then things made on the same product line as the originals, but sold without giving a cut to the patent owner.
Brad Amidzich is/was the patent owner, never got a brass razoo, was supposedly promised royalties, allegedly got screwed over by Kee Dohery, who lodged the trade mark while working at Keg King, lodged it in his own name using Keg Kings money. Tried to claim the trade mark for Keg Land. Keg Land just gave up on the court case now Keg King are rightful owners of a few of the trade marks, which were wrongly being used by Keg Land. Brad Amidzich has sold his patent for the Intertap and Ultratap to Keg King, and there won't be any more flow control taps with these designs.

Funny thing is you can't get Lego copies

Brad Amidzich is/was the patent owner, never got a brass razoo, was supposedly promised royalties, allegedly got screwed over by Kee Dohery, who lodged the trade mark while working at Keg King, lodged it in his own name using Keg Kings money. Tried to claim the trade mark for Keg Land. Keg Land just gave up on the court case now Keg King are rightful owners of a few of the trade marks, which were wrongly being used by Keg Land. Brad Amidzich has sold his patent for the Intertap and Ultratap to Keg King, and there won't be any more flow control taps with these designs.

That’s interesting foxy - is this the same Brad that was involved with Vent-Matic? I was reading an interesting brulosophy article about him if he is indeed the same chap. It seems like you know a lot about him, do you know what happened to Vent-Matic or why they suddenly went quiet?

http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/12/intertap-forward-sealing-faucets-product-review/#more-81661

Last edited:
That’s interesting foxy - is this the same Brad that was involved with Vent-Matic? I was reading an interesting brulosophy article about him if he is indeed the same chap. It seems like you know a lot about him, do you know what happened to Vent-Matic or why they suddenly went quiet?

http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/12/intertap-forward-sealing-faucets-product-review/#more-81661
Yes that's Brad, not had a good run in business, was getting the Vent-matic taps made in Taiwan, so very good quality, got ripped of by a partner leaving him high and dry.
He came across a Vent-matic tap in a bar in Melbourne which had been pouring commercial beers for 14 or 15 years without missing a beat, no seals or O ring changes.
Not sure what he is up to now, he did offer to buy back his patents for Intertap and Ultratap but was refused. Now Micromatic has put its own name on the Ultratap and are going on sale in America.

Yes that's Brad, not had a good run in business, was getting the Vent-matic taps made in Taiwan, so very good quality, got ripped of by a partner leaving him high and dry.
He came across a Vent-matic tap in a bar in Melbourne which had been pouring commercial beers for 14 or 15 years without missing a beat, no seals or O ring changes.
Not sure what he is up to now, he did offer to buy back his patents for Intertap and Ultratap but was refused. Now Micromatic has put its own name on the Ultratap and are going on sale in America.
Oh gosh - what a shame. Thanks for letting me know 👍

Latest posts

Back