Flu vaccine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your thoughts.

• I don't normally get one but will this year

• I always get a vaccine so will again

• I never get the vaccine and will not this year

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wife gets it through work (she works for NHS) and the kids get it automatically but I’ve never bothered.

My parents don’t usually (they’ve been eligible the last 3 years I think) but they are booked in for next week on the back of COVID.

My work is offering the flu jab this year and I've signed up to take it. I normally don't bother with it but my thinking is - if my work offers it and I don't take it but come down with the flu, then perhaps it will go against me regarding further job cuts (I've been lucky and avoided them so far). I also don't particularly like needles, but as @HoppingMad says, hang your arm limp and look away and all is good.

My work have offered to pay for us to have it, so it's just a case of finding somewhere that will do it and has it in stock. I'll need to change my vote! :laugh8:
So have mine, walked into a pharmacy , got jabbed and then claimed it back off of expenses.
I have been paying for it myself the last few years anyway after a particularly bad dose of it one new year.

I am at the age where I should get one but have never bothered before, I am now giving it serious consideration due to covid are members thinking the same or will you again give it a miss
I will get one if offered via work or as part of a GP surgery initiative but I won't be hunting one down if not. (i've had one in the last 2 out of 3 years via work)

If you don't want it yourself, consider others. The more who have it, the fewer hospital beds will be tied up.

My former (normally skinflint.) employers once paid for all the staff to have the flu jab privately during a year when flu was on the march.
For some reason I NEVER get colds,no matter how close to the "infected" i am,But i have had bad flu,It feels like dying.
If a covid vaccine becomes available i will certainly take it.At 63yrs old I am in the borderline age group and after all the mammoth taxes i have paid i want to live to collect my old age pension.
Besides i have a Cat to look after.

I talked to the local chemist and he said their order was three weeks late and they won't have enough to cover the vulnerable people never mind others.

The boots website basically says "none available. don't call. Don't come in"

Well, I had a text message a couple of weeks ago, and another on Thursday, so I decided to book one. Military operation in progress at the surgery: "cough survey" at door, sanitise hands, follow the blue 2m-dotted lines to the place of injection, give name & DOB, asked about allergies, receive vaccine, follow the blue dotted line to the back door, exit.

Job done.

Late porridge and coffee in progress.

They actually asked me to go. Once, twice, thrice!
  1. 24th November. "Good Morning, we now have a limited number of 'flu vaccines for those, age over 50. Please book online or call reception...".
  2. 1st December: "Good Morning, reminder - ,We still have a limited number of 'flu vaccines. Please book online or call reception..."
  3. 7th December: " Good Morning, We still have a limited number of 'flu vaccines. Flu is a serious illness and with Covid-19 still circulating, it is important to keep ourselves healthy. Book appointments online or call...."

The 'flu vaccine has been around for a long, long time. Since the '40s in the USA, here in the UK on the NHS, since the '60s, and for the over-65s for the last 20 years. The only thing that changes is the strains they vaccinate against, as far as I know.

The one that I had protects against:
  • A/Hawaii/70/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like strain (A/Nebraska/14/2019, wild type)
  • A/Hong Kong/45/2019 (H3N2)-like strain (A/Delaware/39/2019, wild type)
  • B/Washington/02/2019-like strain (B/Darwin/7/2019, wild type)
  • B/Phuket/3073/2013-like strain (B/Singapore/INFTT-16-0610/2016, wild type)

Let's hope that we're not bothered by other strains!

They actually asked me to go. Once, twice, thrice!
  1. 24th November. "Good Morning, we now have a limited number of 'flu vaccines for those, age over 50. Please book online or call reception...".
  2. 1st December: "Good Morning, reminder - ,We still have a limited number of 'flu vaccines. Please book online or call reception..."
  3. 7th December: " Good Morning, We still have a limited number of 'flu vaccines. Flu is a serious illness and with Covid-19 still circulating, it is important to keep ourselves healthy. Book appointments online or call...."

The 'flu vaccine has been around for a long, long time. Since the '40s in the USA, here in the UK on the NHS, since the '60s, and for the over-65s for the last 20 years. The only thing that changes is the strains they vaccinate against, as far as I know.

The one that I had protects against:
  • A/Hawaii/70/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like strain (A/Nebraska/14/2019, wild type)
  • A/Hong Kong/45/2019 (H3N2)-like strain (A/Delaware/39/2019, wild type)
  • B/Washington/02/2019-like strain (B/Darwin/7/2019, wild type)
  • B/Phuket/3073/2013-like strain (B/Singapore/INFTT-16-0610/2016, wild type)

Let's hope that we're not bothered by other strains!
It’s never going to be possible to inoculate against every strain of flu and giving how prone influenza is to mutation their will always be new strains and variants, the selection of the strains to vaccinated against each year thus have to be based on analysis of what strains are most likely to be widely circulating each year, they don’t always get it right hence why the effectiveness varies each year, but it does reduce both the amount circulating and your personal chance of getting it. Given how nasty flu can be I will accept the typically mild side effects for a significant reduction in the odds I will get flu each year.

It’s never going to be possible to inoculate against every strain of flu and giving how prone influenza is to mutation their will always be new strains and variants, the selection of the strains to vaccinated against each year thus have to be based on analysis of what strains are most likely to be widely circulating each year, they don’t always get it right hence why the effectiveness varies each year, but it does reduce both the amount circulating and your personal chance of getting it. Given how nasty flu can be I will accept the typically mild side effects for a significant reduction in the odds I will get flu each year.
Yes, that's right. There's a cost balance too. I would not be particularly surprised to see another vaccine added to the pot in the next few years (so from 4-strain protection, to 5-strain), depending on production capability.

I hope not to have any side effects, most people don't, but just in case, here's THIS from the NHS athumb..:

NHS said:
Try these tips to help reduce the discomfort:
  • continue to move your arm regularly
  • ... etc

We ALL know just how to do *THAT*!

When I last had 'flu, I saw someone off on the doorstep at 7:30, feeling fine, and just after noon, I was in bed and didn't get out of it, except when in dire need, for a day and a half. I'd left the bedroom curtains drawn back, and the moon was shining brightly in, keeping me awake, but I couldn't be bothered make the huge effort to get out and draw them. 'Flu is not nice!

Back