Fluctuating fermentation temperatures.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmmCitra

Regular.
Reaction score
Does anybody have any thoughts about this ??

I use an ice bath to help keep my fermentation under some sort of control during this warmer weather.

It goes something like this, my 12 lts of beer in the fermenter sits in a larger trug like bucket where it's in about 4 inches of water..........regular checks of the temperature show that it goes to about 20C before I add some ice and it comes down to about 17C for a while, gradually creeps up again to 20c ish when I again add a little ice and down it goes to about 17C again.......this goes on for maybe a week until the fermentation is about finished.

Is there any downsides to this slight but continuous fluctuation in temperatures ??

Cheers........:thumb:

hmmm I had this problem with the temperature going up and down I put that down to a couple of ruined brews so with help from the forum I made myself a brew fridge...when I say made,: I bought an under counter fridge and an inkbird controller and hay presto constant temps so I can now ferment at a constant temp whatever the weather. :D

hmmm I had this problem with the temperature going up and down I put that down to a couple of ruined brews so with help from the forum I made myself a brew fridge...when I say made,: I bought an under counter fridge and an inkbird controller and hay presto constant temps so I can now ferment at a constant temp whatever the weather. :D

Yeah, I know that's the perfect solution but I can't do that right now so i'm stuck with my own little solution.
I'm hoping that keeping it under some kind of control will work, just hoping it gets confirmed by some of the experts here.

When I first started I just let it do its thing not realising just how much higher the temperature goes thanks to the fermention and the beers all turned out ok so surely keeping it within a slight range and within the advised US-05 temperatures is the next best thing, hopefully ??

Hi if you use a larger volume of water you will get slower temperature swings.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have just built a brew fridge and it's the best thing I have done.I use to brew in the house under my stairs,which use to be a cellar,temperatures being 22/23 not that ideal really,but some yeasts ferment at high temperatures,but fluctuations are not ideal.

Does anybody have any thoughts about this ??

I use an ice bath to help keep my fermentation under some sort of control during this warmer weather.

It goes something like this, my 12 lts of beer in the fermenter sits in a larger trug like bucket where it's in about 4 inches of water..........regular checks of the temperature show that it goes to about 20C before I add some ice and it comes down to about 17C for a while, gradually creeps up again to 20c ish when I again add a little ice and down it goes to about 17C again.......this goes on for maybe a week until the fermentation is about finished.

Is there any downsides to this slight but continuous fluctuation in temperatures ??

Cheers........:thumb:

What yeast you using? Us05 and gervin (Nottingham) will happily brew cleanly at 20C.

Maybe you are trying too hard to keep it at 17/18c when you could get great results with a lot less stress maintaining 20/21c.

I am sure one brewer on here uses gervin and gets great results up to 27c !

US-05 is my go to yeast.............I can keep the temperature within my range without any stress but i'm hoping that the up and down temperature won't have an adverse effect on the finished beer.

Hopefully its better to keep it slightly on the cooler side rather than to just let it do its thing and maybe get up to the mid 20's, US-05 has an ideal fermentation range between 15-22C so mine at between 17 and 20 should be perfect :thumb: Yes ??

Soon you will have your answer, as the proof of the method will be in the tasting :)

If you find your lasted brew has improved and your happy with it, then stick to your ice bath until you can see your way to improve the method with a brew fridge. However, if there is no improvement, then you could revert to your former method or look at a yeast that is more suitable for higher temperatures.

Until I get a brew fridge, I brew lagers in the cold winter months and ales in the warmer months.

Assuming its an ale why not just leave it at 20*C?
Seems a lot of trouble for nothing, plus you might be doing your beer more harm than good given fluctuating temperatures. And by poking probes into your beer you might introduce nasties.
If you are desperate to get the temperature down why not chuck an old wet towel over the FV and let a bit of evaporative cooling do the rest.

Back