Fly in fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janulka098

Reaction score
I have been making peach in grape juice wine , leaving the mushed up fruit in straining bag for 5 days, this morning when I was getting the straining bag out I found a Fly floating in the fermenter :( - the lid was not clipped all the way to allow gasses to escape but I thought no creature could find its way in. Do I continue or there will be trouble ahead and vinegar will be made? It’s upsetting as everything has been sterilised and I don’t go anywhere near the wine without sterilising everything but this fly has found its way in... advice needed ... thank you very much

If it were me I would just fish it out and carry on as normal, nothing much to lose at this stage.

Alternatively, if you don't feel like fishing it out try chucking a spider in, with a bit of luck the spider will climb out by itself after eating the fly.

If it has fermented enough to produce a decent amount of alcohol before the fly got in then it may prevent it getting infected. Only time will tell though. Fish it out (which I hope you've done by now!), make sure another one can't get in again, and let it ferment out. Taste it once it's done and you'll probably know one way or another by then.

Alternatively, if you don't feel like fishing it out try chucking a spider in, with a bit of luck the spider will climb out by itself after eating the fly.
But if it doesn't then you have a bigger problem and will need to chuck a bird in to catch the spider and hopefully the bird will fly out after eating the spider

Thank you :) will let it finish and see what happens - I will either have 10l of white wine or vinegar ... fingers crossed ... and fly has been fished out :) - did not make it though

I found a dead grasshopper in my fermenter earlier this year, only noticed on bottling day. Turned out fine. Named the beer after him 😊

I found a dead grasshopper in my fermenter earlier this year, only noticed on bottling day. Turned out fine. Named the beer after him 😊
"Dead Grasshopper"'s a funny name for a beer! :laugh8:
Edit: Come to think of it, it's not as daft as "Dead Pony Club". Makes you wonder what the boys (and dogs) at Brewdog found at the bottom of their fermenter!

Last edited:
Back