Fly in the airlock!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey guys, theres a fly in the airlock of one of my brews - reckon I should change the lock with some new water?

Or will this cause oxygen to enter the demijohn?

If the fly's dead then i'd leave it something else to watch with all the bubbling :D

i'd change it and be uber careful that none of the liquid from the airlock gets sucked back into your brew while doing so.

the brew is covered by a layer of c02 (which is heavier than air) :thumb:

a small amount of air getting in wouldn't do any harm anyway. It would be a lot less than happens when racking

If you use Vodka in the airlock it doesn't really matter what nasties get in there. They'll be nuked before they can do any damage. ;)
I steer away from water in my airlocks as it seems to attract flies, whereas Vodka definately deters them. If i were a fly i'd be more interested in the vodka not less? Daft things flies.

a cover for the open end of the airlock also a plan. most come with them when new, but if not some kitchen towel and a rubber band does the job. I use campden powder in my airlock.

Latest posts

Back