FM42 - Old Rhine - yeast for Kolsch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Moyes

Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone used the FM42 vials?

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/fm42-old-rhine/

I have not used this before, but pitched 2 vials 24 hours ago and nothing, not even a hint of it working yet.

The wort was cooled to 16'c and then placed in temp controlled fridge at 16'c.

my worry is that the best before date was 20/1/20 so only 8 days away at time of pitching.

Am i being too impatient, or do you think i should pitch some more yeast?

thanks

Looking at the description, vial contains only up to 30 billion cells, so 2 of those would be 60 billions. As it is near best before, some cells are dead as well.
Do you have 20L in fermenter? According to calculator you should have around 370 billions, so possibly massively, under pitched - hence no activity

Looking at the description, vial contains only up to 30 billion cells, so 2 of those would be 60 billions. As it is near best before, some cells are dead as well.
Do you have 20L in fermenter? According to calculator you should have around 370 billions, so possibly massively, under pitched - hence no activity

Well, that'll be it then!!!

Im suprised 2 vials isnt enough though? by that maths it means 10 would be needed?

eitherway i will have to order some new yeast, probably a wyeast....will this create any off flavours by having 2 different yeasts in there?

After I have posted I have read information on their site and was fully surprised to see that they say that 1 vial for ale is enough.

Anyway, you don't have to buy 10 vials, you just do the yeast starter - don't need stir plate, just a container. Look it up.
I'm sure others will come back, maybe some used those yeats before

Well, that'll be it then!!!

Im suprised 2 vials isnt enough though? by that maths it means 10 would be needed?

eitherway i will have to order some new yeast, probably a wyeast....will this create any off flavours by having 2 different yeasts in there?

No it wont create off flavours. But what may/will probably happen is you'll get charateristics from both yeasts. F41 seems to be a neutral flavoured yeast so if you put another neutral flavoured yeast in there you'll just end up with no esters from the yeast.
You can use two different yeasts to get the characteristics on purpose e.g. if you mix windsor with notty you'll get the esters from the windsor (but notty is a neutral flavoured yeast) and the high attentuation from the notty (windsor is a medium attenuator)

No it wont create off flavours. But what may/will probably happen is you'll get charateristics from both yeasts. F41 seems to be a neutral flavoured yeast so if you put another neutral flavoured yeast in there you'll just end up with no esters from the yeast.
You can use two different yeasts to get the characteristics on purpose e.g. if you mix windsor with notty you'll get the esters from the windsor (but notty is a neutral flavoured yeast) and the high attentuation from the notty (windsor is a medium attenuator)

Interesting, i didnt know that...thanks

Ive ordered the Wyeast 2565, and arriving tomorrow so hopefully it can be saved!
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/wyeast-2565-kolsch/

Back