Foam disappearing after less than 2 days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linearcraig

Reaction score
Hi there. I've just started my first lager brew from a kit.

Now I understand that lag can mean than the foam doesn't form for a few days, however I had about 1/2 inch until this morning (day 2) when it has disappeared.

I'm just curious if this is normal. I have some brown clumps I assume is yeast on a tide line around my barrel.

My temp does move slightly but is fairly constant, ending up around the 18-21 specified on the kit.

Thanks

Thanks. When do you reckon the foam will come back?

First brew just trying to figure out when things happen and why.

Thanks

It prob wont come back. If your temp was constant then fermentation will have happened quickly and the majority will be complete. You still need to leave it at least another 10 days to completely finish though.
Don't worry it may seem like nothing much is happening but it will be!

A hydrometer is the best guide to how fermentation is going. But don't bother taking a reading until 10 days in. If it's the same for 3 days and is near your target, then you know it has finished.

My kit suggested 4-6 so I was going to check on day 5 through to 8 if all visible signs had disappeared of fermentation.

The main problem with kits is their instructions.

Initial fermentation takes around 4 or 5 days. you then need to let the yeast clear up after themselves for a few days.

Basically you leave your brew alone for 10 days. Then take an SG reading. Take another one on day 13 and if they're the same (and under 1.014) then you can bottle. :thumb:

Most of the kits say 4-6 days, but take the advice of the experienced brewers in here and leave it a lot longer. Ive learned a lot myself in a short time from these blokes :thumb:

Yeah I beginning to see the experience and advice I could use.

I'll think about leaving it. I'm getting an Appley cider smell just now.

Kits are far too optimistic on timing, probably to not put people off buying them. But the advice could be dangerous. Bottle before fermentation has finished and you could have 40 bottle bombs. If you use the hydrometer then you can be sure it's safe.

Well I'm kegging mine but I understand that the yeast needs to clean up all the unwanted stuff.

I wouldn't keg a lager as you will never get enough pressure to dispense it. (I learnt that one the hard way). I bottle all my lagers and keg my beers/ale. Unless your going to use corny kegs that is.

You will have enough co2 to dispense but you can't get the required carbonation in a keg like that. It will taste flat. Your best route for lagers, if you don't have a cornelius keg, is bottling!

It was the kit that came with my bin, looking forward to trying a couple of different options.

I personally prefer to drink lagers, but this might make me an ale man.

Ive been a lager and guinness man for many years, but since starting the home brew hobby, i'ii brew a wide choice of ales,lagers and stouts etc etc. For an ale try the st peters ruby red. Its a 2 can kit, and you dont need to add any more sugars, except for priming. I just finished my last bottle last night, and its a cracking beer, really, really nice. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back