Foaming/non-foaming at different stages of fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2131tom

Reaction score
I've just restarted winemaking after a 30-off year gap and I'm very impressed by the improvements in many of the aspects of it all, particularly yeasts. One thing about that has me intrigued, however.

I've noticed in quite a few of the 20 or so brews I've done over the past 6 months (both red & white grape wine kits and country wines from scratch) how variable the foaming can be from day-to-day and even hour-to-hour.

A Young's white wine kit a couple of weeks ago, for instance, in the afternoon of day 3 of an 8 day fermentation at a pretty constant 22C, went from no foam at all (although a vigorous primary with lots of breaking bubbles) to a thin creamy-white crust for an hour or two and then, in a matter of minutes, to a 'brain' like crust which almost filled the remaining space in the bin.

A few minutes later the process reversed itself - without me doing anything - to the vigorous, no-foam fermentation I'd had originally. The brew then continued like that and has turned out fine.

It's interesting that the composition of a fermentation can change so quickly - I'm assuming that the surface tension (driven by alcohol levels or other compositional changes in the brew?) are pretty critical in this but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has thoughts on it.

Tom I also look forward to hearing explanations for this. I have noticed great differences in foaming between different yeasts in identical musts. At one extreme D47 produces minimal foam and then settles down to work while at the other extreme K1V foams out of the fermenter, settles, then foams out of the fermenter again, and so on. The 'personalities' and activity cycles of yeast is indeed intriguing.

Thanks a lot LED! That's a highly informative and helpful article. I think I now know why my yeasts' 'personalities' and cycles are as observed. The article also explains why my yeasts behave so differently in a natural grape must vs apple juice must. PS I agree with you about the universe and human stupidity.

Back