Foaming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
I currently have a pluto gun set up with 3m of 3/16 beer line. I get a bit of foaming but enough I can live with. Problem is I have purchased a nukatap with flow control and it doesn't matter what I have the flow control set at it just delivers foam. I think the problem is at the tap end as the beer line looks like it's all liquid. I'm trying to set it up to my new nukatap counter Pressure Bottle filler. Beer is very cold but highly carbed. Any suggestions please

What pressure did you carb your beer to and what is your servicing pressure?

I currently have a pluto gun set up with 3m of 3/16 beer line. I get a bit of foaming but enough I can live with. Problem is I have purchased a nukatap with flow control and it doesn't matter what I have the flow control set at it just delivers foam. I think the problem is at the tap end as the beer line looks like it's all liquid. I'm trying to set it up to my new nukatap counter Pressure Bottle filler. Beer is very cold but highly carbed. Any suggestions please
I've just encountered the same issue having started kegging for the first time. Did you find a fix? Thanks.
In my case I carb'd the beer in the keg at 2.5 volume CO2 using priming sugar. Used hardly any serving pressure which made no difference to the amount of foam (heavy). Have no beer fridge alas so keg at room temp (20c?) which might be the culprit.

I've just encountered the same issue having started kegging for the first time. Did you find a fix? Thanks.
In my case I carb'd the beer in the keg at 2.5 volume CO2 using priming sugar. Used hardly any serving pressure which made no difference to the amount of foam (heavy). Have no beer fridge alas so keg at room temp (20c?) which might be the culprit.
it takes a little while to get your set up right when you are new to kegging but once you get it right you’ll never look back. Make sure you are using 3/16 beer line reduced at your keg and the tap to 3/8. This gives a bigger pressure drop, which suppresses the foam. Another thing is you don’t need to use priming sugar if you have a bottle of CO2. Just leave the keg at serving pressure for a week and it’s ready to go. If you don’t have a fridge you need to carb at a lower pressure. there are tables online for temperature vs pressure but you will learn your own set up through trial and error. I only really have problems now if I over carb to get it ready quicker and I over do it. If it is over carbed pull the relief, empty the head space for a couple of days and try again. another thing is you don’t need to leave the gas on while you aren’t drinking. I just give it a blast when I want to pull a pint then turn it off, after emptying a couple of bottles of CO2 with dodgy seals.

Flow control taps have a design flaw that makes me wonder if they are fit for purpose beyond fairly softly carbonated beers. The taps tend to create turbulence leading to foam. 🤷‍♂️

You might do better to have the tap fully open and install a longer length of 3/16 beer line.

it takes a little while to get your set up right when you are new to kegging but once you get it right you’ll never look back. Make sure you are using 3/16 beer line reduced at your keg and the tap to 3/8. This gives a bigger pressure drop, which suppresses the foam. Another thing is you don’t need to use priming sugar if you have a bottle of CO2. Just leave the keg at serving pressure for a week and it’s ready to go. If you don’t have a fridge you need to carb at a lower pressure. there are tables online for temperature vs pressure but you will learn your own set up through trial and error. I only really have problems now if I over carb to get it ready quicker and I over do it. If it is over carbed pull the relief, empty the head space for a couple of days and try again. another thing is you don’t need to leave the gas on while you aren’t drinking. I just give it a blast when I want to pull a pint then turn it off, after emptying a couple of bottles of CO2 with dodgy seal

Latest posts

Back