Food Grade Silicone Sealant?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calluma11

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just quickly, is there such thing as a food grade silicone sealant? Or any food safe sealant?

The stuff i has says do not use directly in contact with food. It also says not suitable for copper.

Anything that could fit my bill for a mash tun?

I have a Screwfix, Maplin, B&Q and The Range nearby i can go to in the morning (in Doncaster so perhaps other shops)

Many thanks!
Callum

Come to think of it, I'm using a compression fitting so I won't need it.

Thanks all for your help ;)
And apologies for wasting time / forum space

A silicone sealant that is going to be around food needs to be top of the range. Food grade silicone sealants can come into contact with raw meat, and so, need to be FDA Certified.

If you know any fish keepers they might have some aquarium silicone lying around. To the best of my knowledge it's food contact grade. See resources for fish keepers here and here. I used it to seal the seams and filter mesh edges in the tea urn I've turned into a mash tun and no complaints from me whatsoever.

Fish typically have much lower tolerances for toxins in their environment than we have. I have training in environmental toxicology and I could bore you rigid as to why.

One important point though, it's only food contact/fish safe after it has thoroughly cured. Different brands may have different curing times, it's important to check. Personally I'd leave it an extra day or so beyond the recommended curing time to be on the safe side.

Latest posts

Back