Food Heaven & Food Hell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else a fan of butter beans?
Absolutely yes. My mother used to make (long ago, when I was a boy) "ribs and beans", which was bacon ribs plus butter beans (bought as dried ones, and soaked overnight) plus carrots, plus (I presume) salt and pepper etc., cooked slowly for a long time in a pressure cooker at minimum pressure setting. The beans and carrots were intact but very soft, and the flesh of the bacon ribs ditto, and you could suck and chew the softened end of the bone. It was gorgeous. I've tried to duplicate it a fair number of times, and that which has resulted has been perfectly edible, but never as good as it used to be. Still don't know why, but this thread has prompted me temporarily to discard my don't-eat-mammal-flesh philosophy and try again.
Hell: sadly, chillies: I like them, but my insides don't seem to.

My mum used to make the bacon ribs but with dried peas...like yours cooked for ages. I think the key is salt...and lots of it!
You could well be right. I remember that mum's version was quite salty. I drastically cut down on the salt content for health reasons, as it's yet another of the things that are bad for us, so maybe that's the secret.
The same goes for sugar in tea -- for me, it just tastes better with sweetness. After several years of doing without I've relapsed into putting in a bit of honey, which makes a lot of difference.

Latest posts

Back