Football

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hopefully, Chippy isn't the only one "allowed" to start posts here.

In honor of the NFL playing in the UK today, which was a decent game with teams in contention, I watched LIV vs HUD--that's not why really, just sounds better than saying it was what was on channel four and the game I was trying to watch was weather-delayed.

I don't know much at all about football but it was fun. I didn't get how that Liverpool guy got so wide open to score. The defense was so tight, otherwise, that I didn't think anyone was going to get a goal. I guess just a missed assignment. That's one of the ways it happens in hockey, anyway.

Having watched tons of hockey, the parallels are all over the place, so I was able to see what the strategies were.

I don't know what the significance of the match was (if any) but it was alright.

Soccer is pretty big over here and getting bigger. Besides it being a good sport, the increase could be accelerated due to all the moms and dads not wanting their children permanently injured.
I think the danger between 8-18 is exaggerated but whatever. I played, but if I had a kid, I'd be happy to send him to soccer practice over football.

Hopefully, Chippy isn't the only one "allowed" to start posts here.

I know i spam the place but its open to all to post threads. wink...

Soccer is huge in america and is now the fourth most popular sport behind Football (American), Basketball and Baseball you are hosting the world cup in 2026 so i can only see it getting bigger in the lead up to that.

Enjoyed the Chargers/Titans game. Soccer, meh!

Can't stand "our" football. So.................. go Pats (from a first year on channel 4 supporter), how many years ago was that?
Whatever happened to Steve Grogan anyway? I'd heard he'd become coach somewhere?
Apologies to those members who don't know or don't give a f about the game but I find it so much more entertaining than the so called "beautiful game" that is currently given the name of football in this country clapa

Cheers Tom

Soccer is huge in america and is now the fourth most popular sport behind Football (American), Basketball and Baseball you are hosting the world cup in 2026 so i can only see it getting bigger in the lead up to that.

I goofed so I'll try again.
@Chippy_Tea I don't have my finger on the pulse of American sports but that sounds about right. I would prefer if hockey was in there somewhere. If you think about it, there's a ridiculous amount of skill involved, great pace, etc. But try and get someone in the South interested--no snow. I'm surprise auto racing isn't listed--not that I think it's a sport when compared to those listed.

That was snot a shot at you (I'm still reeling from a previous thread), I like you bringing up stuff. I actually look for "Snug" stuff a lot since I don't have a great number of questions on how to brew extract. One of the best was the one about the person who stuffed branches in their car and I was going, "Why are they putting it on the driver's side? How do they get in?" I had forgotten about where the photo was taken.
Speaking of that, I would dig trying to do a manual shift in a car with the positions reversed. But first, I would have to learn how to not be terrified driving an automatic on a UK road.

What's happened to the Steelers this year? :?:
First of all, I'm not the knowledgeable one. If you look at ESPN, you know what I know.
But they got so much **** going on, how are they focusing? They're still good. The coach is solid, smart.
Sometimes I'd rather have a few average players than two super stars.
Edit: It's still early and they're above .500. Of course they could tank but my money is on another 7-8 wins.

Last edited:
Can't stand "our" football. So.................. go Pats (from a first year on channel 4 supporter), how many years ago was that?
Whatever happened to Steve Grogan anyway? I'd heard he'd become coach somewhere?
Apologies to those members who don't know or don't give a f about the game but I find it so much more entertaining than the so called "beautiful game" that is currently given the name of football in this country clapa
Cheers Tom

I'm just laughing. I did not expect someone to say that about UK football. I have VERY limited knowledge of your folk's day-to-day so I think everyone adores football. Clearly, I was wrong but, like I've said before: All Creatures Great and Small, Sherlock, Doctor Who and Midsomer Murders. How's that for cultural accuracy? I'm sure not very. If you picked six US shows, I'd be able to tell there is almost nothing that's accurately portrayed.

From my viewpoint of limited knowledge, rugby seems like a proper comparison to make with the NFL or the NFL with it.
Popularity-wise though (which I had to learn from Chippy) American football here and football in your neck of the woods are the number one activities.
As a side note, I feel somewhat "slid" into the ambassador slot on this forum, best foot forward and all that--same as I did when I traveled to Germany. Same as I do when I'm out on my motorcycle, wanting to represent the activity properly/well.
So I'm okay if you bash football (or anyone who bashes American football) but I'm not about to bash something someone likes. What I said was accurate: I like it (UK football), it's interesting, don't know hardly anything about it though. I''ll add that it's a great form of exercise. Something I consider to be important even though it sounds like I'm joking.

I like the Patriots a lot. I've become familiar with them because they win so often, MOST of the players don't seem like douche bags, I like the coach and that he doesn't pander to the media, dresses how he wants, wins no matter what. I don't think that prolonged success can be pinned on Tom Brady--or can it? I do not know but only have an opinion.
Regarding Bill Belichick, it's not like I think he's a super nice guy or anything. He just seems to be being himself which I respect.
I'm from Detroit but sometimes they don't do so well so you have to find some teams of interest to follow.

I haven't heard that name "Grogan" in a long while. I do remember him though. As a kid, all football players are awesome and sort of revered (I'd like our current crop of NFL'ers to remember that kids look up to them)
This has been fun airing my opinions. That was a LOT of writing.

Football is massive here but it has as many haters as lovers I think the ridiculous amount of money poured into it and the fact it's no longer a working man's sport hasn't helped.

Your view of this country is not too far off for certain parts we have a lot of small villages that are a bit like those in the TV shows you mention but on the whole the country isnt like that.

I figured. A small village setting holds quite an appeal to my wife and I. I would love to be able to walk into a pub, take my mug off a hook....

The corporate influence is very influential here and it's gotten out of hand.

This is a small village a few miles from where I live I think you your wife would like it -

https://www.visitcumbria.com/sl/broughton-in-furness/

Just for one moment, before I followed the link, I thought it was Barrow-in-Furness ashock1
Do like the lakes and the whole area in general though. Loads of lovely villages and plenty of cracking pubs. Last time I was up there with Mrs Soupdragon we stayed in Stavely, home of Hawkshead, marvelous place

Cheers. Tom

Living so close and driving through most of the southern end regularly means you don't appreciate the place also tourists driving around at 20 mph lookimg at the scenery drive you mad.

Latest posts

Back