Force carbing in king keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Wilko

Reaction score
Hi folks, I’ve been reading about force carbing cornie kegs and the like. I have a question to why we who use plastic kegs have to prime with sugar to get co2 pressure? Why not just keg it and add co2 as the pressure release valve never really lets it go above 8psi.

I might be wrong (not a kegger) but I think carbing with C02 at 8PSI would take as long, if not longer than carbing with priming sugar?

Most force carbers in cornys seem to do it at 30+ PSI to get in done in a day or two.

The king kegs aren’t really for gassy beers and the gas produced by the sugar is just for serving pressure. I use my king kegs for stouts and bitters through my handpulls and lagers and pales and wheats in the cornies. They are really totally different animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I’m kind of getting at. Why leave it carb for 2 weeks when it will only get to around 7psi ish before the safety valve let’s the gas out. Why not just keg and then inject gas then leave it to Condition in a cool place

I'm not sure what you'd gain really, I think you would either need to leave the gas attached to the keg with a regulator, which would cost more for the same effect, or would be constantly having to top it up as the CO2 got absorbed, which seems like a lot more effort that just throwing some sugar in and leaving it be.

Back