Force carbonating corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Hi All,
As this is the 1st time using a keg, some advice would be appreciated.
After realising I had a leak as there was no jubilee clip on the gas line out, I have now fitted one, fingers crossed, it seems to be okay.
After consulting the keg carbonation chart I set the regulator to 8psi .Both keg and cylinder are in the fridge at 3c.
This was yesterday and after checking the regulator today the needle is showing nearly 5 psi. Am I right in saying when it hits 8psi this means it is fully carbonated, in which case, it looks like it will be done in less than a week - is this correct?
Secondly, what should be the correct pressure for serving the beer?
Thanks again.

Hi All,
As this is the 1st time using a keg, some advice would be appreciated.
After realising I had a leak as there was no jubilee clip on the gas line out, I have now fitted one, fingers crossed, it seems to be okay.
After consulting the keg carbonation chart I set the regulator to 8psi .Both keg and cylinder are in the fridge at 3c.
This was yesterday and after checking the regulator today the needle is showing nearly 5 psi. Am I right in saying when it hits 8psi this means it is fully carbonated, in which case, it looks like it will be done in less than a week - is this correct?
Secondly, what should be the correct pressure for serving the beer?
Thanks again.
The needle should stay exactly where you set it at all stages of carbonation. The regulator compensates for the CO2 absorbing into the beer by releasing more of it from the cylinder - that's what regulation means. That said, a temperature change to the physical unit like putting it in the fridge could change the way the gauge reads. Adjust it back to 8psi and leave it for two weeks, though there will be some carbonation after a week if you want to pull a sample :) Serve the beer at the same pressure as you carbonate it. Basically, leave it at your 8psi until the keg's empty.

The needle should stay exactly where you set it at all stages of carbonation. The regulator compensates for the CO2 absorbing into the beer by releasing more of it from the cylinder - that's what regulation means. That said, a temperature change to the physical unit like putting it in the fridge could change the way the gauge reads. Adjust it back to 8psi and leave it for two weeks, though there will be some carbonation after a week if you want to pull a sample :) Serve the beer at the same pressure as you carbonate it. Basically, leave it at your 8psi until the keg's empty.
thanks for the advice. I have now dialled it back up to 8psi.
I was hoping it would be ready in a week, hoping it would be quicker than if bottle carbonating.
Is the general consensus it takes 2 weeks to fully carbonate even if temp as low as 3c?

thanks for the advice. I have now dialled it back up to 8psi.
I was hoping it would be ready in a week, hoping it would be quicker than if bottle carbonating.
Is the general consensus it takes 2 weeks to fully carbonate even if temp as low as 3c?

It's around 2 weeks if you're doing the set and forget method like that though it will have fizz sooner than that. But there are options if you want it sooner...

My latest brew I was drinking it in under a week after kegging. Mostly out of desperation as I'd run out but it's a hoppy IPA so a I figured it would be better fresh! So for this beer I burst carbonated it. Very easy, just initially set the regulator pressure for 30-40 psi and leave it 24 hours. After that drop the pressure down to your desired serving pressure i.e. 8 psi. It should be ready a few days to a week after that. You may want to experiment a bit with the initial pressure to see what works for you. Full guide here: Carbonation Methods

It's around 2 weeks if you're doing the set and forget method like that though it will have fizz sooner than that. But there are options if you want it sooner...

My latest brew I was drinking it in under a week after kegging. Mostly out of desperation as I'd run out but it's a hoppy IPA so a I figured it would be better fresh! So for this beer I burst carbonated it. Very easy, just initially set the regulator pressure for 30-40 psi and leave it 24 hours. After that drop the pressure down to your desired serving pressure i.e. 8 psi. It should be ready a few days to a week after that. You may want to experiment a bit with the initial pressure to see what works for you. Full guide here: Carbonation Methods
thanks very much.
when you burst carbonated it, did you do this at cold temperature in the fridge?

can you talk me through the process pls?

This is what I do.
Chill my beer done to 3c. Purge keg with gas. Transfer into keg. Set pressure to 30psi. Shake/roll the keg non stop for a minute. Leave keg in the fridge for an hour. Release all the pressure out and then set to serving pressure. Pour and enjoy.

I find the shaking it method works really well too. I always use gelatin to clear my beer up completely in secondary before kegging (not a vegetarian or a purist!!) so you don't even have to let it settle. Just drink!

thanks very much all for the feedback, much appreciated.
tried a sample from the keg and it came out a foamy mess. I realised this was down to the serving pressure being too high I guess as the 2nd sample was better after I reduced pressure.
What is the minimum pressure used when serving?
I was also surprised how cloudy the pint was, it seems whatever is left in the beer is far from settled.

I was also surprised how cloudy the pint was, it seems whatever is left in the beer is far from settled.

Maybe it had settled! How many pints did you have?
I kegged a Punk IPA clone on 7th March and had my first couple of pints of that last night. The first pint was cloudy but the second was crystal clear.

Maybe it had settled! How many pints did you have?
I kegged a Punk IPA clone on 7th March and had my first couple of pints of that last night. The first pint was cloudy but the second was crystal clear.

just the 1 pint.
judging by you kegging on 7th march and just trying it last night, I am probably being impatient as I only kegged mine on Monday

tried a sample from the keg and it came out a foamy mess. I realised this was down to the serving pressure being too high I guess as the 2nd sample was better after I reduced pressure.
8 psi is no problem at all for serving if you have a length of 3/16" tubing between your keg and your tap. I have 2 metres of it. If you just have 3/8" then you'll always struggle I'm afraid.

8 psi is no problem at all for serving if you have a length of 3/16" tubing between your keg and your tap. I have 2 metres of it. If you just have 3/8" then you'll always struggle I'm afraid.

it's a nightmare and I'm clearly doing something wrong as the 1st 2 pints are all foam, when I pour another it's ok but everytime I go back to pour the next pint it's like vesuvius.
pls point out the obvious, should I vent the keg everytime before I pour or what do I need to do to get something half decent aaarrgh!

it's a nightmare and I'm clearly doing something wrong as the 1st 2 pints are all foam, when I pour another it's ok but everytime I go back to pour the next pint it's like vesuvius.
pls point out the obvious, should I vent the keg everytime before I pour or what do I need to do to get something half decent aaarrgh!
Do you have a length of 3/16" beer line? If not, order a couple of meters and a pair of John Guest 3/8 to 3/16 inline reducers to hook it up and you'll be good. Your system will be:

Keg disconnect -> 2 inches 3/8 line -> JG reducer -> 2m 3/16 line -> JG reducer -> 2 inches 3/8 line-> your tap

Do you have a length of 3/16" beer line? If not, order a couple of meters and a pair of John Guest 3/8 to 3/16 inline reducers to hook it up and you'll be good. Your system will be:

Keg disconnect -> 2 inches 3/8 line -> JG reducer -> 2m 3/16 line -> JG reducer -> 2 inches 3/8 line-> your tap

foxbat thanks again for your help. temporarily figured it out last night, just turned the pressure all the way down but as others have said, that's a pain and I can see my canister being empty in no time.
If I continue in this way, can I just check proper procedure - do I disconnect the gas in line, then bleed the pressure in the keg, reattach gas in and set it to the lower serving pressure. I was bleeding it with the gas line still attached.
in terms of below, forgive me but this gets quite technical for my basic knowledge. all I know is my beer line outside diameter is 10mm and the length to the picnic tap is 0.5m?

If its 10mm that will be 3/8" so too thick thus too much flow/foam. If you get a thinner beer line (3/16" or 5mm ish) then it adds more resistance to the flow and you should get a sensible pour

Back