Forced carb equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I have 3 pressure barrels which can tolerate 10 PSI. Bit tired of the glug glug glug at the end of the barrel (must be air trapped or something) but if I put the cane sugar in after the beer is in the barrel I don't get that.

They all have S30 fixtures but a couple of them look different. So what equipment am I looking to buy so I can start carbonating my beer via forced carbonation. Cheers.

The "glug" you describe is air entering the barrel via the tap. this happens when you "run out" of pressure in the barrel.
The danger here is that it will cause the beer remaining in the barrel to go off (and flat!) within a couple of days.

You will struggle to force carbonate in a pressure barrel with a 10psi limit. Your best bet is to prime the barrel with sugar (usually around 85g for a 5 gallon barrel) then re-pressurise with co2 when the beer no longer pours.

Regarding the S30 fixtures - there are 2 types : one tytpe has a pin in the middle and is for use with 8 or 16g CO2 bulbs : the other type has no pin and is for use with an S30 bottle - they are NOT interchangable.

Good luck !

Sounds like I bought two duds of pressure barrels as neither have the pin. Well, I guess I can change the tops of them I guess. But is there not a way I can just use a CO2 cannister with them or am I playing with fools gold here. And to the above poster, I'd love a corny, no money atm ;c

upps my bad, didn't read it properly, so I can just screw on the cannister to those or ?

Hi Arcs

They all have S30 fixtures but a couple of them look different.
Sounds like I bought two duds of pressure barrels as neither have the pin.
… the two different types of valve, for S30 cannister or 8g bulb, are often marketed/sold as different bits of hardware … but they're usually convertible from one use to the other, here's a cross section diagram of the valve on a pressure barrel cap …
24752977246_a99d624e89_o.jpg

… converting from one to the other involves taking out the O-ring seal (2), a cocktail stick can be helpful for that, and taking out the piercing pin insert (1), turning the whole thing upside down and letting it fall into your hand may be the easiest way … then you put it all back together, pin pointing downwards for S30, pointing upwards to pierce the 8g bulbs wink...

Cheers, PhilB

Hi Arcs

… the two different types of valve, for S30 cannister or 8g bulb, are often marketed/sold as different bits of hardware … but they're usually convertible from one use to the other, here's a cross section diagram of the valve on a pressure barrel cap …
24752977246_a99d624e89_o.jpg

… converting from one to the other involves taking out the O-ring seal (2), a cocktail stick can be helpful for that, and taking out the piercing pin insert (1), turning the whole thing upside down and letting it fall into your hand may be the easiest way … then you put it all back together, pin pointing downwards for S30, pointing upwards to pierce the 8g bulbs wink...

Cheers, PhilB
Good bit of advice here from PhilB.

It's worth noting that not all S30 valves are the same. I have a couple of aftermarket 2" caps that have a simple arrangement. Instead of using a reversible piercing pin insert they have a hollow pin. If using with Hambleton Bard cylinder you simply pull the pin out with pliers and leave it out. For the 8g bulbs, leave the pin in.

I had a crack at this, seems the pin in both was entirely removed, thus new tops. I've seen the price of them, it's looking like a refurbished corny is more likely the better option as I won't be spending much more =)

Latest posts

Back