Forgot the acid!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakrabbit

Reaction score
This summer I did a 30 bottle run of strawberry wine using local PYO strawbs. Sadly, the fermentation coincided with the heatwave and my temperatures were too high. The batch developed a distinctly acetone/solvent smell and the first bottles tried also exhibited this smell/taste. Ive still got it all, and so gave a few bottles to my mate yesterday who is also a homebrewer and will drink anything.

He's sent me a message saying he thinks its alright but is very 'smooth' with no bite, and thinks the problem is just a lack of acid. So I checked my notebook and i dont have citric acid written in the list of ingredients, so can only assume I forgot to put it in!

Has anyone experience of a similar brew with the acid missing and how it turned out?

Im going to try adding some citric to a bottle later and see what the difference is

The introduction of Citric Acid isn't necessary for all wines.

As the "heat wave" ended less than a month ago, I suggest that you just leave it alone for a couple of months and try it around Christmas time.

If the off-taste is still there at Christmas it will probably be due to a high fermentation temperature rather than a lack of citric acid; and if it isn't then you will have a surprise Christmas Present!

Yes I guess its just another case of being patient and seeing what turns out.

I just hope it does turn out ok, as ive got a lot of pricey local strawbs invested in it|!

Acid does give it zing, and tannin gives it bite. Acid also helps as a preservative.
From previous experience, I would say don't add acid as too much will make it taste terrible.

Latest posts

Back