Forgot to add the irish moss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissyr63

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a brew yesterday and realised today that I forgot to add any irish moss into the boil. It's now in fv and fridge at 20c.
Now my usual process would be 2 weeks in fv then crash to as low as possible over a couple of days - usually get to about 2-3c. Then into a cornie and force carb and left for a few days. This usually results in a nice clear beer after the first couple of pints ( cornie just picks up the sediment ). I also transfer some to bottle s via counter pressure which works well.
a
What would people recommend
- just do the same and live with any haze?
- Use some finings before putting into the cornie?

by way was a IPA and used lots of pellets hops.

Well, you could try gelatine fining. Personally, I don't like pellet hops because of the clarification issue, but gelatine might improve this.

If it were me... I'd do nothing about it... Just follow your usual practice... The only thing I would consider, is leaving the beer in the FV for an extra week, you might find it clears up nicely.

Did a brew yesterday and realised today that I forgot to add any irish moss into the boil. ...
Like the rest of us never forget to add the copper finings. Do we?

It's only on of those "peripheral" things that might give a slight advantage. Many don't bother with it at all. Damn stuff clogs my hop filter sometimes.

But don't mix up copper finings (like irish moss) with finishing finings (like gelatine). They do different jobs. Use one or the other, both or neither, as you think works best for you. If you "cold crash" (sick...) you are effectively choosing not bother with finings.

I skipped it accidentally once, I left the fv outside for a night (it was March) and at just a bit above freezing I racked to bottling vessel. It was clear, but I think I had more trub than usual.

You don't use Irish moss in the boil?
Nope. I try and avoid getting some of the trub in the fermenter but mostly just put all of it in. I've got some protofloc arriving with a delivery tomorrow and I bought it just out of curiousity.

Nope. I try and avoid getting some of the trub in the fermenter but mostly just put all of it in. I've got some protofloc arriving with a delivery tomorrow and I bought it just out of curiousity.
I did not expect that. I have forgotten to put in a few lagers before and after gelatin they looked very cloudy still. I have made no boil lagers which were crystal clear after fining but i put that down to the yeast. I never expected that to clear either.

So looks really cloudy - been a few weeks in the fridge and several pours so suppose will just be like that! Tastes nice .

Attachments

• IMG_20190102_183822037.jpg
    IMG_20190102_183822037.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Back