Forgot to add the lime!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl May

Reaction score
ashock1 I brewed a Rye IPA at the weekend, ginger added - check, Honey added - check, Zest and juice of a lime added at 5 mins from end of boil - DOH!!!

it wasn't until this morning when i went t o check the FV that i saw the lime, still very much with it's peel in tact and full of juice on the side.

Question is, can i add the juice and lime at a later date? maybe at same time as i dry hop or will it have a negative effect on the beer??

Thanks in advance

One of the reasons to add it late in the boil is, to get it sterilised and avoid infections.
Only have 1 experience with late additions (apart from dryhop): a choconut porter, and yes, it got infected. Small batch, mildy infected, drunk it anyway. Gonna do it again, but BETTER.

Having said that: leaving the peel and zest a few nights under alcohol (Everclear (grain alcohol), or vodka) should kill off all unwantedness. The juice, I don't know, freeze it? One minute boil?

Last edited:
Previously I’ve just soaked whole limes, a bowl and a zester in starsan for a minute or so. Zested into said bowl and added it once fermentation has finished along with the juice and dry hops. This has always worked for me.

Back