Forgot to put tea in my TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made my first turbo cider today. With all the excitement I forgot to add a cup of strong tea into my DJ. I've got 4L of Waitrose basics apple juice and 1 sachet of slightly old MJ cider yeast. I pitched today around 2pm, if I make a tea now is it too late? Do I need to add tea at all?

Thanks.

You can add it now, just make sure it's roughly the same temp as your wine. You add it to give the tannin flavours so how much and do you want to add it is down to taste.

You can add it now, just make sure it's roughly the same temp as your wine. You add it to give the tannin flavours so how much and do you want to add it is down to taste.

If I didn't add it at all would I get a terrible cider? Would it be drinkable to a "mass audience"?

If I didn't add it at all would I get a terrible cider? Would it be drinkable to a "mass audience"?
It'll be fine - just a little more... umm, I'm going to say alco-poppy but not being derisive. The tannin provides a bit of bite/puckering complexity and stops it being so one dimensional. Usually you have to age it a little bit longer, too, just to smooth it out, like wine. You can add it right up until the end. With wine I put in about 2/3rds of what I think I'll need and the rest, if it needs it, before the finings.

So you don't need it need it.

Oooh, new post above - will read after this.

Back