Forgot to rinse bucket after sterilising

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oo7tk

Reaction score
So I sterilised all my equiptment and stupidly forgot to rinse out my bucket before I started brewing, I know schoolboy error.. I emptied it pretty good but doubt it even dryed properly before I started..

So what do I do, just throw out the brew and start on another or leave it and taste if after a few weeks..

This is the steriliser I used and says rinse after using on instrautions..

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 234
Last edited by a moderator:
Why not take a sample and taste it? I'd imagine any steriliser flavours would take effect almost immediately so you should be able to tell if it's caused a problem.

If you drained it, the concentration of VWP in your brew should be very low.
So, is it fermenting? If so the VWP hasn't killed the yeast. If that's the case just carry on as you would have done. The true test will be what it tastes like in about two months time. So its glass half full, not half empty. :thumb:
And you never chuck beer away until you are satisfied it is undrinkable.

It would just feel like 2 months wasted and a lot of time bottling if it does turn out to be contaminated.. ah I'm raging with myself now such a silly mistake, feel like just dumping it and getting another kit..

It has not started to ferment yet but it's not even an hour in thr bucket..

I forgot to sterilize a bucket altogether and it turned out fine. Do you have a barrel you can chuck it in to avoid the bottling? then its no bother either way.

It would just feel like 2 months wasted and a lot of time bottling if it does turn out to be contaminated.. feel like just dumping it and getting another kit.. as not started to ferment yet but it's not even an hour in thr bucket..
You haven't even given it a few hours to see if the fermentation starts.
And if it does and it finally turns out OK? You will look back and think 'Good job I didn't chuck it'
And if it doesn't turn out, I'll share the blame for encouraging you to leave it
So its almost win-win :whistle:

No don't have a barrel just swing top bottles but I might just leave it and hope for the best, I used a low dosage of VWP and drained it so hopefully..

Going to order some starsan to have for the future..

Thanks for the replies..

It can leave a nasty chlorine taste, not sure how much it fades over time. Hope you gave got away with it.

Could you siphon it to another fv? If so I'd do it sooner rather than later.

So I sterilised all my equiptment and stupidly forgot to rinse out my bucket before I started brewing, I know schoolboy error.. I emptied it pretty good but doubt it even dryed properly before I started..

So what do I do, just throw out the brew and start on another or leave it and taste if after a few weeks..

This is the steriliser I used and says rinse after using on instrautions..

Thanks

I would leave it. i think it will be ok ,chlorine dissipates into the air after 12-24hrs so i would put a clean cloth over your FV and sit the lid on top loose, so it can escape, i would then seal for 24hrs then smell and taste it , if its ok carry on if it smells and tastes like a swimming baths then fire it. if you drained it well i think it will be ok. lets hope :thumb:

I do have another bucket but would it really make a difference at this stage a few hours later??

Yea cool I might try this as a last resort and see how it goes, thanks ...

Going to order some starsan to have for the future..
There's nowt wrong with VWP. I use it or stuff like it and have done so for years.
You have learned your lesson.
Next time you will rinse out the FV after a VWP wash, it will come automatically.
Be positive. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
And most of all, enjoy your home brewing :thumb: :thumb::thumb:

I just ordered some starsan, a bottle washer and drainer just to make like easier :).

Also I removed the lid off my FV and put a clean cloth over it and lid back on loose so hopefully this trick will work after 24 hours

I just ordered some starsan, a bottle washer and drainer just to make like easier :).

Also I removed the lid off my FV and put a clean cloth over it and lid back on loose so hopefully this trick will work after 24 hours

i just use the sterilizer they sell for babies bottles, never had any problems, store it in a couple of demi johns and reuse it quite a few times

My first WOW I accidentally sucked an airlock full of VWP into a gallon. It had a slight chemical taste, but you might get away with it if the fv was well drained.

I hope you get away with it. Chlorine will react with the phenols in beer to produce chlorophenols that you will certainly taste and they get worse over time. Crossed fingers mate, there's nothing worse than losing a batch.

Latest posts

Back