Forgot to stabilise

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissyr63

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi

have just racked off a juice wine - it had been fermenting for 2 weeks and went from 1.080 to 0.994.
I added 1 campden tablets per 5 lts and also added Kwik Clear finings but no stabiliser. I won't be able to do anything with the wine until Wednesday (3 days) should I add the stabiliser then or just leave it?
I assume I can rack the cleared wine and add it and then bottle straigh away?

C

I would just leave it in the DJ until Wednesday and then add the stabiliser before bottling.

I've never actually used a stabiliser but I have often left wine sat in the DJ for months after adding a Campden Tablet and none of them have come to any harm. :thumb: :thumb:

As Dutto says you can add it later, you may want to rack again as you are going to stir the sediment up again.

thanks for the replies.
I have it in a beer bucket with a lid at the moment (it is about 22lts). Has been degassed and finings added so if it is cleared by Wednesday I will siphon off into my bottling bucket, add the stabiliser and then bottle.

Dont you have to leave it a day after adding stabiliser or does it not matter if its clear? Also inst adding a Campden tablet the same as using stabiliser?
I never used to add anything just bottle when clear but now stabilising on the off chance i can keep some for a few years.

Also inst adding a Campden tablet the same as using stabiliser?

No campden tablets will stun yeast but not kill it (see below)

Campden tablets (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) are a sulfur-based product that is used primarily to sterilize wine, cider and beer making to kill bacteria and to inhibit the growth of most wild yeast: this product is also used to eliminate both free chlorine and the more stable form, chloramine, from water ...

This Potassium Sorbate (PS210), sometimes called “Wine Stabilizer”, is added to a finished wine before bottling to reduce the possibility of re-fermentation. It is strongly recommended that Potassium Sorbate be used in any wine you intend to sweeten or any wine that is still sweet after the fermentation is complete.

The campden tablet also helps act as an anti oxidant which is extremely useful once fermentation has been completed and no more co2 is being produced to protect the wine.

Stabiliser e202 doesn't actually kill the yeast, it coats each particle covering its nucleation sites thus preventing it from 'reproducing'; it won't prevent any active yeast from doing its job, it will just stop the yeast from multiplying.

From my experience I wouldn't add stabiliser after finings,I done this once and it gave the wine a cloudyness that didn't dissipate for months after bottling!

Latest posts

Back