Forgotten Brew!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meirion658

Reaction score
Morning all,

Due to one thing or another, I have left a Saison on the ferment for a few months now in a brew fridge at around 4 degrees inside a stainless steel brewbucket. Can I rescue it or is it best to thrown away?

Don't chuck it. Put a bit of fresh yeast in for carbonation and it should be good.

Would you add a yeast to it to help it condition as it been a few months sitting on it?

I would just to be on the safe side, but you would probably get away with it if you didn't.

Yeah, you've basically just lagered it and at homebrew scale leaving it on the yeast cake isn't the end of the world, and keeping it cold will help. Add some fresh yeast to help carbonation and enjoy. :-)

Would you just sprinkle the yeast on or rehydrate and gently stir in?

Last edited:
Since you need to add priming sugar as well: why not? Dissolve the needed bottling sugar in sterile water, add the bottling yeast, disperse wel throughout the brew (do not splash) and viola! Ready to bottle.

I use a bottling bucket and liquid yeast so I'd build a small starter and siphon my beer on top of the starter and priming sugar to mix. If you're using dried yeast I'd rehydrate so it mixes in better as the time I sprinkled dry yeast on top it stayed fairly granular. Just stir it in carefully if you don't rack to a new bucket.

Here's an excerpt from my Brewing Diary:

B15/16 – COOPERS LAGER
Destined for long term lagering in fridge
Started 23rd August 2016
with addition of 950g Golden Syrup and 50g of Fuggles hop pellets.
Youngs lager yeast pitched at 23 degrees. Fermenting at 21 degrees in fridge.
Racked to second FV on 1st September 2016.
Lagering at 10 degrees from 1st September to 8th November.

Bottled in flip-tops 8thNovember 2016
OG 1.042
FG 1.010
ABV 4.2%
Kcal per Litre = 404Kcal

I didn't add any extra yeast and although it took a bit of time for the carbonation to kick in, it was fully carbonated and ready to drink after another three weeks or so.

TBH this is the brew that changed my mind on the subject of Lager as a drink and I now brew Lager on a regular basis, especially as a low ABV summer brew for those thirsty moments that hit us all. :thumb:

I've read that all you need is one grain of dry yeast per bottle to reyeast a batch for carbonation. Does that sound about right?

I've read that all you need is one grain of dry yeast per bottle to reyeast a batch for carbonation. Does that sound about right?

Yes it does, if you think of the quantity of yeast in the bottom of a bottle-conditioned beer after pouring. This is little more than a tiny dusting of yeast.

Tasted a small sample of this today and tasted and looked ggod. I thought I had a pack of yeast in the hosue but couldnot find it so I habe bottled primed it today fingers crossed for carbonation.

Latest posts

Back