Forum Abbreviations and Glossary.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H&B - Holland and Barrett - a health food store that sells LME plus a few other homebrew ingredients. Look out for MyQul buying his fair trade organic quinoa granola.

RIMS - Recirculating Infusion Mash system
HERMS - Heat Exchange Recirulating Mash system
(Two excellent innovations/unnecessary complications - delete according to your own viewpoint - in all-grain brewing)

AG all grain
ABW alcohol by weight
SG specific gravity
RO reverse osmosis (water purification)

Thanks for this useful list.

Last edited:
A glossary explaining terms like 'sparge' might be handy for newbies? I volunteer to produce it!

All added. :thumba:

A glossary explaining terms like 'sparge' might be handy for newbies? I volunteer to produce it!

Thanks for the offer i think they could all go in the same thread as long as its kept alphabetical so i have changed the title to -
Forum Abbreviations and Glossary.

How's about

JG- John Guest a manufacturer of push in fittings widely used in the homebrewing community for dispensing beer from kegs.
WGV- Whitbread Golding Variety, a traditional English hop.
EBC - European Brewery Convention, one of the common methods of measuring the colour of beer.

DMS Dimethyl sulphide - a cabbage-like off flavour

please edit or shorten as you wish

How's about

JG- John Guest a manufacturer of push in fittings widely used in the homebrewing community for dispensing beer from kegs.
WGV- Whitbread Golding Variety, a traditional English hop.
EBC - European Brewery Convention, one of the common methods of measuring the colour of beer.

Thanks for the input Horners, we are trying to stick to regularly used abbreviations so as not to end up with hundreds in one thread.

Mash - to soak malted grain in hot water, releasing fermentable sugars
Lauter - to lift the grain from the wort
Sparge - to rinse the grain with hot water after lautering
Malt - grain that has been soaked, germinated and dried

Short and sweet, but are they good enough? Please critique or edit. I'm only a junior member but would like to contribute to this excellent forum. Seems ten times bigger than its nearest competitor!

Malt pipe - the inner container for grain in an all-in-one brewer

This confused me for a while!

MLT mash lauter tun
HLT Hot liquor tank - water heater. In a HERMS setup, wort is circulated through a coil in the HLT to heat indirectly.

Thanks for the input Horners, we are trying to stick to regularly used abbreviations so as not to end up with hundreds in one thread.
FAir enough Chippy although I must admit when I first received a bag of hops from Craftybrew range labelled up WGV I wondered what on earth they were...

Back