Forum Christmas Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please choose your favourite recipe for the Forum Christmas Brew

• Option 1 - 1848 Barclay Perkins IBSt

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Option 2 - 1821 Barclay Perkins TT

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Option 3 - Black IPA

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Option 4 - Imperial Stout

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Option 5 - Chocolate Stout

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Option 6 - Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Option 7 - Old Ale

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oops, I didn't realise that the recipe was for 23 litres and I only brewed to 21. Looks like its going to be a very merry Christmas in my house :laugh8:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201004_170003_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201004_170003_com.android.chrome.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 84
Checked mine yesterday. The krausen was still there after 13 days, about half has dropped. Didn't even bother with a gravity reading, I'll give it another week before checking again.

I’m planning on brewing in November- the chocolate definitely fades so I’d recommend enjoying it 4-8 weeks

Because I'm a doughnut, and I'm new to this game, and new to BrewFather app - I think I've dropped a goolie.

I brew ~10-11 litre batches and generally use 1/2 package of dried yeast.

I had forgotten that this is a bit of a bigger OG brew, so didn't think to calculate the yeast required.

I've just done this on BrewFather and it's recommending 1 packet.

So - we're 17 days in the FV, I haven't checked the SG in a few days but it was a bit high.

Should I measure and see how it's getting on?

Should I rehydrate the other half of the packet and pitch?

Something else? Idiot.

Because I'm a doughnut, and I'm new to this game, and new to BrewFather app - I think I've dropped a goolie.

I brew ~10-11 litre batches and generally use 1/2 package of dried yeast.

I had forgotten that this is a bit of a bigger OG brew, so didn't think to calculate the yeast required.

I've just done this on BrewFather and it's recommending 1 packet.

So - we're 17 days in the FV, I haven't checked the SG in a few days but it was a bit high.

Should I measure and see how it's getting on?

Should I rehydrate the other half of the packet and pitch?

Something else? Idiot.

Don’t worry about it too much, just give it time. If you used lactose it will finish high so you could well be about done 🍺

Just tried a bottle of mine after 4 and a bit weeks in the bottle. Was just going to ease up a corner of cap and have a sniff, but it delivered an encouraging "sch.. you know who" so I decide to pour it and drink it (I'm so easily led). Very nice. Never tasted anything with lactose in it before and it was ok: no cloying sweetness, the chocolate flavour is present even though I didn't use any chocolate and I'm looking forward to drinking a fully mature bottle or ten on Christmas eve.
Gorgeous colour, I should add. A rich deep ruby colour rather than the impenetrable black we normallyexpect of a porter.
Brew on, lads and lasses. It's worth making.

Ok... got the water on for this one, i'm going to do an overnight mash, slightly upped the grain bill to account for my horrible efficiency but only by a little. I'm going to get up early tomorrow to do the invert sugar, my plan was to use 500g golden caster sugar, 1 pint of boiling water and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, how long did everyone simmer for, 2 hours?

Also cocoa nibs, boil or soak in vodka?

Latest posts

Back