Forum Christmas Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please choose your favourite recipe for the Forum Christmas Brew

• Option 1 - 1848 Barclay Perkins IBSt

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Option 2 - 1821 Barclay Perkins TT

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Option 3 - Black IPA

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Option 4 - Imperial Stout

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Option 5 - Chocolate Stout

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Option 6 - Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Option 7 - Old Ale

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's not done if the gravity is still dropping.
Well obviously...

What I meant was, it's a stout with lots of unfermentable sugars and lactose to boot.

How low could it possibly go, and what would cause it to go lower? @UKSkydiver you mentioned earlier in the thread that it looked odd on top. Perhaps you have an infection?

Well obviously...

What I meant was, it's a stout with lots of unfermentable sugars and lactose to boot.

How low could it possibly go, and what would cause it to go lower? @UKSkydiver you mentioned earlier in the thread that it looked odd on top. Perhaps you have an infection?
Yeah. Not sure. Smells and tastes ok. Just a few bubbly things on top. Doesn’t look like mould. Will take a look tmrw and post a pic for your collective delectation.

Looks like its finally bottomed out at 1014

Here are the bits on top.

I'll be bottling it anyway. Can I crop that off? Or do i just leave the last cm or so in the FV?

Cheers

20201019_152507.jpg
20201019_152524.jpg

Is that yeast rafts? Mine was looking similar before I transferred to secondary, leaving the 'rafts' behind.

I'd cold crash it. Hopefully they'll drop out.

Brewed this up Saturday afternoon and pitched M15 had a nice fermentation going Sunday and then nothing this morning. Let's just say I am not a fan of Mangrove Jack yeasts, this I probably my 5th weird batch in 20 I have brewed with them. I need to accept they are a problem company and to stick with fermentis or Llallemand. Anyway I dumped some wb06 in there with hope of recovery and it's already immensely better.

Brewed this up Saturday afternoon and pitched M15 had a nice fermentation going Sunday and then nothing this morning. Let's just say I am not a fan of Mangrove Jack yeasts, this I probably my 5th weird batch in 20 I have brewed with them. I need to accept they are a problem company and to stick with fermentis or Llallemand. Anyway I dumped some wb06 in there with hope of recovery and it's already immensely better.
Funnily enough I brewed mine with M15, it dropped quickly in the first few days and then sat at 1.032 for over a week, I have upped the temp and will check again in the next few days. I have only got packs of US-05 to hand, do to think I could use that to restart fermentation if I have no movement?

Funnily enough I brewed mine with M15, it dropped quickly in the first few days and then sat at 1.032 for over a week, I have upped the temp and will check again in the next few days. I have only got packs of US-05 to hand, do to think I could use that to restart fermentation if I have no movement?
Mine was down to 1.026 this morning and I did not use lactose so if you did and it's at 1.032 that seems about right. I probably jumped the gun a bit on the wb06 addition, but I will let you know if I get a further drop in gravity. US-05 should be good for a bit more attenuation.

I’ve been so busy the last few weeks getting my new business ready to launch. Hoping to sneak a brew day in soon

I
Mine was down to 1.026 this morning and I did not use lactose so if you did and it's at 1.032 that seems about right. I probably jumped the gun a bit on the wb06 addition, but I will let you know if I get a further drop in gravity. US-05 should be good for a bit more attenuation.
I did use lactose, brewfather says I should be looking at 1.020 but I have been known to not be too accurate with my measurements :coat:think I will see where it is in a few days

I

I did use lactose, brewfather says I should be looking at 1.020 but I have been known to not be too accurate with my measurements :coat:think I will see where it is in a few days
I just checked mine again and no movement in FG, it's still at 1.026. I probably wouldnt pitch any us-05 as it's likely a waste. I did sample a few times and the taste is getting better. I think I will add the chocolate and maybe some toasted coconut soon.

I just checked mine again and no movement in FG, it's still at 1.026. I probably wouldnt pitch any us-05 as it's likely a waste. I did sample a few times and the taste is getting better. I think I will add the chocolate and maybe some toasted coconut soon.
I have tasted mine a few times when checking gravity and it does taste nice so think I will keg it as it is. I thought the cacoa nibs were added at the start of fermentation or is that something else that I have got wrong asad1

I have tasted mine a few times when checking gravity and it does taste nice so think I will keg it as it is. I thought the cacoa nibs were added at the start of fermentation or is that something else that I have got wrong asad1
No, it's like most things in brewing. some add in the boil, some at ferm, and some after ferm. Probably doesn't matter too much.

I forgot to measure the FG of mine, which is a shame as I nearly always do record the FG and I've never used lactose before and I wanted to see what a difference it made. I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet and brew another batch.

Latest posts

Back