Forum Christmas Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please choose your favourite recipe for the Forum Christmas Brew

• Option 1 - 1848 Barclay Perkins IBSt

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Option 2 - 1821 Barclay Perkins TT

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Option 3 - Black IPA

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Option 4 - Imperial Stout

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Option 5 - Chocolate Stout

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Option 6 - Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Option 7 - Old Ale

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry @An Ankoù I had never even heard of invert u til.this thread so don't think I can off much advice other than what I did.

This is the sugar that I used
15983729745474830761595101085194.jpg

I used just under 500g and 1 pint of boiled water from the kettle but added a bit of cold when the temperature looked like it might go over when I was doing the initial heating up (a tip that I read somewhere but can't remember where that was), then I just turned the heat down and let it simmer away. The only bits that started to turn a bit solid were when they cooled, either on the side of the pan or on the spatula that I was stirring with.

Sorry @An Ankoù I had never even heard of invert u til.this thread so don't think I can off much advice other than what I did.

This is the sugar that I used
View attachment 31578
I used just under 500g and 1 pint of boiled water from the kettle but added a bit of cold when the temperature looked like it might go over when I was doing the initial heating up (a tip that I read somewhere but can't remember where that was), then I just turned the heat down and let it simmer away. The only bits that started to turn a bit solid were when they cooled, either on the side of the pan or on the spatula that I was stirring with.
Yes, thanks. That looks like the sugar I'm using. I think the US pint is a mistake and it needs a full pint of water. Might try again tomorrow and just enjoy the toffee.

Ordered my grains from geterbrewed minus the cocao nibs. I'll use Cocoa powder instead if I can't find any. Half in the mash and half in a rum tincture after a week fermenting.

12 litres Hopsteep's Legendary Chocolate Stout well under way.
Mods to original recipe in red.
I've never used Phoenix before bot it's supposed to have hints of chocolate and molasses. Let's see.

Grist
Pale Malt | 69.2% Crisps Best
Pale Chocolate Malt | 10.4%
Flaked Oats | 6.9%
Light Crystal | 2.3%

Adjuncts
Invert No.3 (Homemade) | 6% | Added in the boil Dillon's Syrop de Canne Roux
Lactose | 5.2% | Added in the boil
Cacao Nibs | 200g (for a 30L batch) | Added to primary at start of fermentation Not used

Hops
60 Minutes | Fuggles | 17.7 IBUs Phoenix leaf to 32 IBUs FWH
60 Minutes | Target | 14.1 IBUs Phoenix leaf last 10 minutes 6 g
10 Minutes | Fuggles | 2.8 IBUs Phoenix leaf Flameout 9 g

Yeast
Ringwood / Wyeast 1187

Apols if I've missed this, its may have been mentioned, but the thread is getting long.

What is the consistency of the final product? Is it like syrup or crystallised, I.e. can I pour it or will I have to smash it to bits?

Further, and I think the answer is no, is this invert the same as Belgian Candi sugar? Thinking how I can use it in future brews, as I did have my eye on something that needs Belgian Candi sugar.

Cheers

What is the consistency of the final product? Is it like syrup or crystallised, I.e. can I pour it or will I have to smash it to bits?

I’d say mine was like hot tarmac (without the lumpy bits). Technically a liquid, but only just. Doubt it would be brittle enough to smash.

That’s not to say that’s how it should be of course...

Ok. I'm flapping a bit here.

I've got the induction on max plus power boost and have had for 10 mins. Bubbling like a nutter. Volume down from 1.5 ltres to 1 litre and still only 107c

Verified with a second probe.

Ok. I'm flapping a bit here.

I've got the induction on max plus power boost and have had for 10 mins. Bubbling like a nutter. Volume down from 1.5 ltres to 1 litre and still only 107c

Verified with a second probe.

It's going to turn into toffee. There's something very iffy about Pattinson's recipe. Mine turned into a lovely post syrup / pre toffee thing which had the colour of invert #2. Bottled it up because of its gorgeousness, but substituted it with something more like what I think it should be (see earlier). Don't waste too much time on the invert sugar, it's the beer that counts.

Back