Forum Christmas Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please choose your favourite recipe for the Forum Christmas Brew

• Option 1 - 1848 Barclay Perkins IBSt

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Option 2 - 1821 Barclay Perkins TT

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Option 3 - Black IPA

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Option 4 - Imperial Stout

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Option 5 - Chocolate Stout

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Option 6 - Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Option 7 - Old Ale

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok... got the water on for this one, i'm going to do an overnight mash, slightly upped the grain bill to account for my horrible efficiency but only by a little. I'm going to get up early tomorrow to do the invert sugar, my plan was to use 500g golden caster sugar, 1 pint of boiling water and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, how long did everyone simmer for, 2 hours?

Also cocoa nibs, boil or soak in vodka?
Bring to the boil then chuck into primary 🍺

Ok... got the water on for this one, i'm going to do an overnight mash, slightly upped the grain bill to account for my horrible efficiency but only by a little. I'm going to get up early tomorrow to do the invert sugar, my plan was to use 500g golden caster sugar, 1 pint of boiling water and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, how long did everyone simmer for, 2 hours?

Also cocoa nibs, boil or soak in vodka?
Can't remember how long I did my invert sugar for but it was no where near 2 hours.
I just chucked the cocoa nibs in to the fermenter straight from the packet.

how long did everyone simmer for, 2 hours?
I bottled out after about 1½ hours. I reckon it got as far as invert #2. I didn't realise that it was supposed to solidify on cooling and expected it to remain a syrup. In fact I didn't use it in the end as I found a really good substitute with just the faintest taste of treacle, which is what I wanted, but I don't think it's available in the UK. I've now got a jar full of invert #2 and wondering what to do with it. I'll have a browse through Pattinson's recipes and see what I can find.

Mines been going for 1:20, I reckon I'll give it another hour and see what its like, think I'll use it unless it really is awful, I always have golden syrup and treacle to fall back on.
It'll be ok as long as you don't burn it, I think you have to keep stirring as the longer you cook it, the thicker it gets.

Last edited:
When I make invert I do it in the oven as I find I have to watch the temperature too much on the hob. I set the oven to 120c, which for my oven is a rock solid 115c. It does take a lot longer this way but it is very easy and ensures it doesn't burn/scorch. I could try goining slightly hotter, but you don't want it to go above 125c. Below is a picture of the invert changing colour, each sample is an hour apart. If you want it to remain a syrup once made, add 20% weight of the sugar as water to it while it's still hot, it will then be pourable and should also keep fairly well. I used lactic acid to help invert it
12Ric3Qm.jpg

When I make invert I do it in the oven as I find I have to watch the temperature too much on the hob. I set the oven to 120c, which for my oven is a rock solid 115c. It does take a lot longer this way but it is very easy and ensures it doesn't burn/scorch. I could try goining slightly hotter, but you don't want it to go above 125c. Below is a picture of the invert changing colour, each sample is an hour apart. If you want it to remain a syrup once made, add 20% weight of the sugar as water to it while it's still hot, it will then be pourable and should also keep fairly well. I used lactic acid to help invert it
12Ric3Qm.jpg

Love this idea 👍

12Ric3Qm.jpg
The Bob Ross of brewing...

So it turns out this is still going. Albeit very slowly.

I'm happy with the 5.8% ABV though.

It's a bit murky, but it's not as dark as other brews / stouts I've done, so I have a sachet of Wilko finings I'm thinking of bunging in. Never used it before. Should I bother? And then should I cold crash too before bottling?

Cheers

1602260939187.png

Brewed mine today. Used Hopsteep's grain bill, but lazily added Black Treacle instead of invert. Used Summit for bittering then dropped hot into the FV which had the lactose and a teaspoon of cocoa powder in. Will pitch S04 tomorrow. This was a split batch so pleased with the ~10l. Will add full write up to my brew day thread later/tomorrow/next week...

Last edited:
planning this one out in two weeks with a little twist, rather than making inverted syrup I am going to do a keptinis bake of a portion of the grain. I also saved about 100g of scotch soaked cacao nibs from my imperial stout to add to this one.

My brew still has a lot of yeast rafts on floating on top after 3 weeks so I'm going to transfer it to a secondary vessel with a bit of invert syrup to create some Co2 and help stop any oxidation. Made the syrup this morning
IMG_20201011_095608_965.jpg

I used 1kg of sugar so I can use it for some Belgian brews in the near future 😉 held at 125°C - 135°C for 90 mins.

I'll give my milk stout another month in secondary before I bottle it I think.

Back