Forum Raffle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of using the national lottery to pick the raffle numbers as there can be no arguments about it being a random draw. Maybe each entrant picks a 6 digit number and the first 6 numbers to come up on the selceted national lottery draw will detemine who wins. So if '43' is the first ball out then 4 & 3 are the first 2 numbers and so on. In the very unlicky event that 2 entries are the same then a split pot or first entry with that number wins? Im in whatever you decide. Love a gamble!

Just to add the closest number wins, obviously no one will get it bang on

Great idea Larry. The only thing is I'd have to use prize fund money to buy packaging to pack up the SMaSH kits then some more prize fund money to use a postage costs which is fine if members are happy with that

That is the beauty of vouchers MQ........Let em pay their own postage!!!:wink:

Sounds like a great idea. If we went down the gift voucher route a "sponsoring" shop might even offer a higher discount for use only with the raffle....

Just to add the closest number wins, obviously no one will get it bang on

The problem with closest number wins is that, a priori, each number is not equally likely to be the nearest, and so each ticket doesn't have the same probability of being a winner. This is one of the conditions stipulated by the gambling comission, so I think closest number would be illegal.

Just stick with a random number generator. That's what been used for other giveaways etc

Tbh, this would be simplest. Although I still like the idea of somehow using the lottery

If anyone can think of a way to use an online random number generator but so its as open and transparent as possible, that would be great

One way to tie it to the lottery and still have all tickets equally likely to win is by giving ticket numbers sequentially and mapping the tickets onto the possible national lottery outcomes. This is easiest if the total number of tickets is fixed in a way which makes it easy for people to know if they've won or not.

For instance, if the number of tickets are limited to 59 (numbered 1 to 59), then the winner is simply the person whose ticket number is the same as the first ball that is selected on the main lotto draw, and subsequent balls are ignored. If that is too many tickets, then limit the number of tickets to 39, and use the first ball in the thunderball draw.

If you want to issue more tickets, then there could be 78 tickets (=39*2), which are numbered 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b ... 38a, 38b, 39a, 39b. Then, the number must match the first ball in the thunderball draw, and of the two people with tickets that match this number, the winner is decided by the second ball drawn; 'a' wins if the second ball is in the top half of the remaining balls, 'b' wins if the number on the second ball is in the second half of the list of remaining balls.

I think this is a pretty simple system which uses the lottery and can't be rigged.

... plus, if you do it this way, you will know in advance how much money will be in the pot.

I like the idea of the lottery draw as no one can be accused of cheating or fixing the winner of the prize, how this will work in reality is a different matter.

Another potential problem I've discovered; Paypal consider raffles (lotteries) 'prohibited activites' so I have to get permission to use my paypal account. If they say no I might just open a seperate bank account todo bank transfers and use that just for the raffles

The world has gone mad, you try to do a simple raffle for the benefit of the members and it turns into a red tape nightmare.

I have seen people ask for paypal gift when selling but i am not sure if it would help here.

Latest posts

Back