Four Priests Brewery YouTube channel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

Agentgonzo

Landlord.
Reaction score
I assume the fancy element power controller that Martin sent you works by pulsing the power on/off for the relay for longer/smaller amounts of time based on the potentiometer setting, rather than altering the actual voltage supply (ie, power) to the element?

Reaction score
I assume the fancy element power controller that Martin sent you works by pulsing the power on/off for the relay for longer/smaller amounts of time based on the potentiometer setting, rather than altering the actual voltage supply (ie, power) to the element?
I think he did it the hard way. Pulsing is for SSR newbies, right @The-Engineer-That-Brews ?

Reaction score
I think he did it the hard way. Pulsing is for SSR newbies, right @The-Engineer-That-Brews ?
Nope - pulsing on and off (for integer multiples of a mains cycle) is in fact the way to go for this kind of application, because it lets you only turn the heating element on or off when the mains voltage is zero... thus reducing both electromagnetic interference and 'shock loading' of the heating element which can otherwise give big surge currents that will shorten its life.

To be precise I use a technique called 'pulse density modulation', which I do with a variation on the 'Bresenham' algorithm that is more normally used to draw 'straight' lines on your computer screen out of discrete pixels (see Bresenham's line algorithm - Wikipedia)

For anyone who's interested, here is relevant section of my code. The main function repeatedly reads the position of the control knob and sets a global 'ones_count' as follows:

ones_count = (uint16_t)(0.5 + BRESENHAM_FRAME_SIZE * (float)adc_value / 1023.0);

Then on a 25Hz interval the following interrupt routine is called:

// interrupt service routine for Timer/Counter1, Output Compare A Match (TIM1_COMPA)
// updates the SSR pulse density modulator
//
ISR(TIMER1_COMPA_vect) {
static int16_t err;

err -= ones_count;

if (err < 0) {
err += BRESENHAM_FRAME_SIZE;
PORTB |= _BV(PB0); // SSR on
} else {
PORTB &= ~(_BV(PB0)); // SSR off
}

}

The 'BRESENHAM_FRAME_SIZE' is set to a suitably large prime number, to avoid predictable patterns in the on/off pulses.

Reaction score
This little video clip shows the overall effect: as the power increases the pattern changes from 'off', to mostly 'off' with a bit of 'on', to 50/50, to mostly 'on' with a bit of 'off', and then fully 'on'.
The video isn't great due to the strobing effect with the mains freq, but I think you can see what's happening.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
@The-Engineer-That-Brews i am not seeing a video.
Are you not seeing this Chippy
1657477393336.png

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you are having the same playback problem please can you add your answer to the thread below not this one, thanks.

Latest posts