Four Priests Brewery YouTube channel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to the next brew day.

We recently had one of these quick fit fittings blow off a kitchen tap joint luckily we were in at the time so the flood wasn't too bad, i remember you saying it was a temporary fix and you managed to screw it on are you going to make it permanent as i have a horrible vision of all your hard work going down the drain every time i see it.

Captuttttttttre.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to the next brew day.

We recently had one of these quick fit fittings blow off a kitchen tap joint luckily we were in at the time so the flood wasn't too bad, i remember you saying it was a temporary fix and you managed to screw it on are you going to make it permanent as i have a horrible vision of all your hard work going down the drain every time i see it.

Captuttttttttre.jpg
It’s still full of beer Chippy, I daren’t swap it until there isn’t 300 litres of ale behind it… Defo not permanent though.

Are you planning on using any finings Andy?
Yes, I added a silica based finings adjunct then dropped to 4C for 3 days. I got it all into cask today with 40ml of Brausol P in each cask instead of Isinglass. Never did like the idea of goldfishes swim bladders or whatever it’s made from :)

592DCDAC-D9A8-4B24-B550-8C391C7D9042.jpeg

So is the bung on the side for filling and admitting air; and the spigot on the end for serving?
Peter Miss Rigby! Stella, my love! Would you please send in the next auditioner, please. Mr. Spiggott, I believe it is. (enter Dudley, hopping on one leg) Peter Mr. Spiggott, I believe? Dudley Yes, Spiggott by name, Spiggott by nature. (keeps hopping) Peter Yes...if you'd like to remain motionless for a moment, Mr. Spiggott. Please be stood. Now, Mr. Spiggott you are, I believe, auditioning for the part of Tarzan? Dudley Right. Peter Now, Mr. Spiggott, I couldn't help noticing almost at once that you are a one-legged person. Dudley You noticed that? Peter I noticed that, Mr. Spiggott. When you have been in the business as long as I have you come to notice these things almost instinctively. Now, Mr. Spiggott, you, a one-legged man, are applying for the role of Tarzan - a role which, traditionally, involves the use of a two-legged actor. Dudley Correct. Peter And yet you, a unidexter, are applying for the role. Dudley Right. Peter A role for which two legs would seem to be the minimum requirement. Dudley Very true. Peter Well, Mr. Spiggott, need I point out to you where your deficiency lies as regards landing the role? Dudley Yes, I think you ought to. Peter Need I say without overmuch emphasis that it is in the leg division that you are deficient. Dudley The leg division? Peter Yes, the leg division, Mr. Spiggott. You are deficient in it to the tune of one. Your right leg I like. I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role. That's what I said when I saw you come in. I said "A lovely leg for the role." I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is - neither have you. You fall down on your left. Dudley You mean it's inadequate? Peter

Peter Miss Rigby! Stella, my love! Would you please send in the next auditioner, please. Mr. Spiggott, I believe it is. (enter Dudley, hopping on one leg) Peter Mr. Spiggott, I believe? Dudley Yes, Spiggott by name, Spiggott by nature. (keeps hopping) Peter Yes...if you'd like to remain motionless for a moment, Mr. Spiggott. Please be stood. Now, Mr. Spiggott you are, I believe, auditioning for the part of Tarzan? Dudley Right. Peter Now, Mr. Spiggott, I couldn't help noticing almost at once that you are a one-legged person. Dudley You noticed that? Peter I noticed that, Mr. Spiggott. When you have been in the business as long as I have you come to notice these things almost instinctively. Now, Mr. Spiggott, you, a one-legged man, are applying for the role of Tarzan - a role which, traditionally, involves the use of a two-legged actor. Dudley Correct. Peter And yet you, a unidexter, are applying for the role. Dudley Right. Peter A role for which two legs would seem to be the minimum requirement. Dudley Very true. Peter Well, Mr. Spiggott, need I point out to you where your deficiency lies as regards landing the role? Dudley Yes, I think you ought to. Peter Need I say without overmuch emphasis that it is in the leg division that you are deficient. Dudley The leg division? Peter Yes, the leg division, Mr. Spiggott. You are deficient in it to the tune of one. Your right leg I like. I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role. That's what I said when I saw you come in. I said "A lovely leg for the role." I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is - neither have you. You fall down on your left. Dudley You mean it's inadequate? Peter
Jump… into this blanket… wot we are ‘olding

Yes, I added a silica based finings adjunct then dropped to 4C for 3 days. I got it all into cask today with 40ml of Brausol P in each cask instead of Isinglass. Never did like the idea of goldfishes swim bladders or whatever it’s made from :)

Most isinglass used to be made from cod swim bladders so it's no more objectionable than eating fish & chips - arguably better, because it's using something that would otherwise go to waste. AIUI these days it's mostly made in Asia from whatever fish they're eating there, catfish and such like.

AIUI these days the vegan alternatives are good enough that it makes sense to use them, some bars will refuse to buy from you otherwise. On the other hand, effective fining is non-negotiable, if you're having problems with the vegan stuff it's better to use isinglass and have some customers not buy it than have beer that is meant to be clear and isn't. Especially when you're starting out, you don't want to have that reputation as the brewery that sends out mucky beer that never clears properly, publicans just don't need the hassle.

There's something not quite right about casks with no manky stickers on them....!

I take it the corny is for the brewer's reserve? :onechug:

I just don’t get this aversion to fish finings – isinglass by name. Having attracted the vast majority of protein and yeast particles to itself electrostatically, the clumps so formed drop out of suspension and remain in the belly of the cask, so never get into the belly of the drinker.

I just don’t get this aversion to fish finings – isinglass by name. Having attracted the vast majority of protein and yeast particles to itself electrostatically, the clumps so formed drop out of suspension and remain in the belly of the cask, so never get into the belly of the drinker.
The issue is you can’t guarantee that and it’s still animal products going into the beer making process. If dog poo was a great alternative and someone put it into the fermenter I don’t think I would be buying a pint of turd fined ale in my local.

It's a shame dog turd doesn't work there would be a lot less of it in the back alleys if it did. ;)

Latest posts

Back