Four Priests Brewery YouTube channel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@chopps did I see your inner Captain Caaaaaavvvvve Maaaannnn showing himself when you were bunging those Casks ..mmmm

captain-caveman-jumping.gif

Last edited:
Congrats on the first batch of kegs 👍

They're not kegs..... aheadbutt

But congrats anyway on Gyle 1 - a big landmark.

The timing's a bugger but I wouldn't mess about with conditioning times, particularly whilst you're learning your process - again it comes back to only having one chance to make a first impression. From the pub's POV it's a real PITA if things aren't properly conditioned. I guess you have that part cask to play with - maybe bottle it then you can take some with you to see how it gets on? Maybe have a clear/PET bottle just to follow it to see how it clears etc?

Again with it still being in the prototype stage, I might just call it Experiment 1 or something rather than getting too committed to Murgy Straight, if you do end up tweaking things for gyle 2 you'll always get people complaining that "they're always messing around with Murgy Straight, it's never the same".

Also the combination of your first time cask conditioning, potentially dodgy shives and away from a week does feel like a big risk - if nothing else I'd be tempted to put the casks in the black boxes or something to try and contain the flood if the shives did give way, and either have a camera on them or get someone to check in on them whilst you're away, just in case you're in a position where one shive has gone and you are still in a position to rescue the others, at least position them shive up so you don't lose beer if they do blow.

Great work! I would look at getting that keg washer behind screen...someone will activate it without a keg on.
As for the keg wash...where does any **** go?

The timing's a bugger but I wouldn't mess about with conditioning times, particularly whilst you're learning your process - again it comes back to only having one chance to make a first impression. From the pub's POV it's a real PITA if things aren't properly conditioned. I guess you have that part cask to play with - maybe bottle it then you can take some with you to see how it gets on? Maybe have a clear/PET bottle just to follow it to see how it clears etc?

Again with it still being in the prototype stage, I might just call it Experiment 1 or something rather than getting too committed to Murgy Straight, if you do end up tweaking things for gyle 2 you'll always get people complaining that "they're always messing around with Murgy Straight, it's never the same".

Also the combination of your first time cask conditioning, potentially dodgy shives and away from a week does feel like a big risk - if nothing else I'd be tempted to put the casks in the black boxes or something to try and contain the flood if the shives did give way, and either have a camera on them or get someone to check in on them whilst you're away, just in case you're in a position where one shive has gone and you are still in a position to rescue the others, at least position them shive up so you don't lose beer if they do blow.
Thanks for the correction 🙄

Shive? do people replying to this thread make words up?

Firstly we had Spigot now shive

Is a shive what people from the West Midlands do when their beards are getting too long?

Andy to reduce your risk I would be happy to accept your first cask here and try it out for you - just like any mate would

Bloody hell NB, I’m worrying enough already :) lol. Cheers mate.

Great work! I would look at getting that keg washer behind screen...someone will activate it without a keg on.
As for the keg wash...where does any **** go?
Back into the casks and the tub, but now it’s not stuck inside them and crusty - so the rinse washes it out. And the rinse water is not recirculated.

edit : and yes I need to add some safety features. It’s just me for now but in future it could be some other poor sod getting a caustic shower.

You could rig up some sort of system similar to an electric lawn mower where the motor (in this case the pump) cannot activate unless a button is held down first then once its on you can release the other button. Then when you turn the motor off then you have to press the button again before it will activate again. That or rig up a mom-on switch that is pressed down by the cask itself and as soon as you release the cask it breaks the circuit and turns the system off.

Latest posts

Back