Four Priests, One year.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just checking in!

Exactly one year ago, well 16th April 2022 actually, Elliott and I brewed the first 'Trial Batch'.
This became Murgy Straight from brew number 3.
Last Saturday we brewed the 20,000th pint.
Hardly Madri levels of production, but I'm so happy I can't put the feeling into words.

I've loved every single minute of our idiotic Saturday job journey.
Literally, through blood, sweat and tears.
Without what I learned lurking on the forum here for years and eventually joining in and making friends, I can't see how it would have happened otherwise.
Thanks to everyone who supported us. Love to you all.

IMG_3570.jpeg

chaos.jpeg
IMG_7282.jpeg

elland3.jpeg

Well done! No mean feat. Love your YouTube channel as well, I'm an avid inhaler of all the content.
Just received the Murgy kit from Cross My Loof and was well chuffed with the addition of the stick on label - happy bunny!

Keep it up.

Kevin

Glad it has been a huge success like CG above i have enjoyed watching the journey and will continue as long as the videos keep coming ;)

Loving the videos Andy! Hopefully you can keep them coming. It's been amazing to watch along with your journey!

Echo what others are saying here @chopps. I’m more of a lurker here and on YouTube but I’m an avid watcher (about the only thing I regularly watch on YouTube to be honest!) Usually in the bath on a Saturday night with a glass of home made red wine. Sorry if that’s too much info 😂 Keep up the good work - you’ve inspired me in many different ways and I’ve often bought “stuff” after seeing it on your channel. Dji osmo, wireless mics, etc 😉

Echo what others are saying here @chopps. I’m more of a lurker here and on YouTube but I’m an avid watcher (about the only thing I regularly watch on YouTube to be honest!) Usually in the bath on a Saturday night with a glass of home made red wine. Sorry if that’s too much info 😂 Keep up the good work - you’ve inspired me in many different ways and I’ve often bought “stuff” after seeing it on your channel. Dji osmo, wireless mics, etc 😉
:) Cheers!

Just checking in!

Exactly one year ago, well 16th April 2022 actually, Elliott and I brewed the first 'Trial Batch'.
This became Murgy Straight from brew number 3.
Last Saturday we brewed the 20,000th pint.
Hardly Madri levels of production, but I'm so happy I can't put the feeling into words.

I've loved every single minute of our idiotic Saturday job journey.
Literally, through blood, sweat and tears.
Without what I learned lurking on the forum here for years and eventually joining in and making friends, I can't see how it would have happened otherwise.
Thanks to everyone who supported us. Love to you all.

View attachment 84638

View attachment 84636View attachment 84637
View attachment 84639

It’s a sign! A sign I tell you, a Sign!
At least you noticed the sign Mike.
I spent ages editing episode 87 with Ace of Base's 'The Sign' as the soundtrack, mixing in some clips of said sign. I paid for the soundtrack licence, had to clear it with Universal Media Group not once but twice, and nobody found it remotely funny.
I waste my comedic talent on you lot sometimes :)

Starts at 10.50 :

As others have said I have really enjoyed following your journey and watching your brewery progress, your channel is the only one that I watch regularly and keep up to date with. Still need to brew a Murgy, currently trying to decide whether to do it next or do a lager for summer 🤔

I've been following your videos almost from the start. Now you've done a full year of brewing I'd like to see a breakdown of the finances for the year excluding build costs. It would be very interesting for anyone dreaming of doing the same thing.
I find it fairly amazing how well you've done in the sales department without seemingly a great deal of effort needed. Impressive.

Well done @chopps, I have been following you're progress. Hats off for juggling a full time job plus brewing at that scale at the weekend.
I know you're very happy with the day job, could the brewery be a profitable business if you went full time. Would you have to scale up the current set up. Another local brewery Have just announced they are shutting up shop. Farmegeddon have been going around 10 years now but unfortunately have decided it's time to stop.
All the best in the future 👍

I've been following your videos almost from the start. Now you've done a full year of brewing I'd like to see a breakdown of the finances for the year excluding build costs. It would be very interesting for anyone dreaming of doing the same thing.
I find it fairly amazing how well you've done in the sales department without seemingly a great deal of effort needed. Impressive.
The effort has certainly been higher in the practical side but there’s much that takes place in terms of customer interaction that you don’t see. We have built a pretty decent contact list and we serve them weekly with stock lists and prices, to remind them to order, we visit pubs to explore any ties and their willingness to engage, and work social media to create conversation and build interest in venues that stock (or might stock) our beer. We don’t hassle them. We make friends. This business is full of pushy annoying sales people. It’s a slow process but as long as we keep adding pubs then our cask sales increase. Will think about sharing more of the P&L…

Well done @chopps, I have been following you're progress. Hats off for juggling a full time job plus brewing at that scale at the weekend.
I know you're very happy with the day job, could the brewery be a profitable business if you went full time. Would you have to scale up the current set up. Another local brewery Have just announced they are shutting up shop. Farmegeddon have been going around 10 years now but unfortunately have decided it's time to stop.
All the best in the future 👍
Based on our overheads - Rent, energy, insurance, cask leasing, internet, water, brew software, accounts software, we need to sell about 18 casks a month to break even. Thats with no income for us. 32 casks would net about £1K of profit per month. Maxing out our capacity at 64 casks per month, about £3K per month. That would be 2 brews per week and about £36K/year profit. so not bad…. but honestly you’d really need 2 people in total to manage it. 2BBL Brewing is not a sensible living from an income perspective, for me. Nice post-retirement additional income maybe…Or, risk it all and go to 10BBL. Have you seen the list of 2022/2023 brewery closures lately…? I think we are good like this for a while.

Back