Free CML yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't seem to get on with the Crossmyloof Real Ale and US Pale Ale yeasts (I know this puts me very much in the minority), so I've got a packet of each to give away. Both in date and have been stored in the fridge. First person to PM me their address, and I will pop them in the post. Would very much like it to be someone who hasn't tried these yeasts yet, so they get a free go, if you see what I mean, but whoever PM's first gets them.

Very nice gesture. Giving them to someone that hasn't tried them is good.

I put the US pale ale through a couple of batches and wasn't happy with flocculation. It was ok but I prefer it more flocculant. Got a real ale in the fv at the minute so I'll see how that goes.

I have used the California common and was very happy with that.

Good of you to do this though!

I am not too sold on either strain either, I have used the US a few times now some have been okay some not sure about and my recent seems to be frustrating me. With recommendation ill try the Kolsh but I will not bother with either strain myself again.

These have now been claimed by jceg316.

The reason they didn't work for me was nothing to do with their functionality of reliability, quite the opposite, they start quickly and ferment well. But, for me, both had a taste that I didn't get on with and took an age for it to condition out. But I stress, I'm in a minority, so perhaps I just don't like the yeasts 'taste'. I've got a CML California common in the fridge which I've yet to try. Hoping I like that, as they are great value.

Never tried the real ale, but agree about the US pale. I'd rather spend a couple of bob extra and get US-05. The CML kolsh is good though.

Did everyone on here rehydrate the yeast before adding to the beer?

I have to admit I'wasnt in the impressed camp but I'm hoping now I'm doing this along with water treatment it may just be how people are brewing that is determining theyre opinion on this strain

I rehydrated, and as with the others I disliked the flavour and the poor adhesion to bottles.

The Belgian yeast is good though, my Patersbier is delicious, and lovely and crystal clear. The Saison De Lille tasted nice, but under attenuated, but still had problems with the sediment been too loose in the bottle. The Kristallweizen was a good yeast too, the wheat beer was delicious and became very clear in time.

It's literally just the Real Ale yeast and the US Pale Ale yeast that I didn't get on with. I've mentioned before though, I suspect that it could well be that they're just not very tolerant of fermenting at temps much higher than 20 degrees C, where other yeasts are far more forgiving (the CML ones I like for example ALL ferment best at temps above 20 degrees C...). If you've gone to the lengths of building a brew fridge though, surely you'd go the extra bit further and use liquid yeasts rather than dried?

So no, rehydrating probably won't help. Keeping temperatures down though might, if you can.

The reason they didn't work for me was nothing to do with their functionality of reliability, quite the opposite, they start quickly and ferment well. But, for me, both had a taste that I didn't get on with and took an age for it to condition out.

+1

I've stopped using them too. Initally I thought they were great, went off like a rocket, but there's something about the taste. And no matter how much cold conditioining you do, the Real Ale yeast refuses to stick to the bottom of bottles and ends up in the beer....which for someone who bottles all their beer is of no use.

I don't get any funny tastes as for yeast in the bottle I find a cold crash and carefull racking sorts it out so the bottle has just the faintest powder in the bottom.

I'll definitely post my brews and how they've come out here. I've not used CML yeast before, generally people seem to like it but reading this thread is interesting.

I don't get any funny tastes as for yeast in the bottle I find a cold crash and carefull racking sorts it out so the bottle has just the faintest powder in the bottom.

This is why I suspect it's down to fermentation temperature Clint. I don't have any temperature control (other than been able to heat the FV...), so the lowest I can ferment at is a little above the ambient temperature. Given that the lowest ambient ever goes in our home is 19 degrees C... lol No facility to cold crash either. Between these 2, I'd rather just pay more for a yeast that is more tolerant of a warmer fermentation, and also that drops out and sticks to the bottle without a cold crash.

Those of you who have only tried the real ale, and US Pale, yeasts. Try the Belgian and the Kristallweizen! They're actually good yeasts. The Belgian gives a lovely bubblegum flavour (possibly some spice, but I used Saaz and Hallertauer Mittelfruh, so hard to tell what came from the yeast and what came from the hops) fermented at about 23/24 degrees C, and given a couple of weeks in the fridge the beer goes crystal clear. The Kristallweizen gives a lovely banana flavour (fermented again at 23/24 degrees C) after about 3 weeks conditioning, lives up to the kristall part of the name too, my wheat beer had less suspended yeast than the beer I used the US Pale in... lmao They're 2 yeasts that are definitely worth a go. I'll try the Saison De Lille again one day, with a higher fermentation temp (these days I ferment Saisons at about 26 degrees C) to see if I can get better attenuation from it.

If I can figure out a way to get them to a post box (we don't have one near us, even though we live in a city.... The one that was near us was one of the small ones mounted on a post that the PO removed...) I have quite a few CML Real Ale yeast packets that I could give away for folks to try, just sat in the fridge (I used to buy in packs of 10).

I rehydrated, and as with the others I disliked the flavour and the poor adhesion to bottles.

The Belgian yeast is good though, my Patersbier is delicious, and lovely and crystal clear. The Saison De Lille tasted nice, but under attenuated, but still had problems with the sediment been too loose in the bottle. The Kristallweizen was a good yeast too, the wheat beer was delicious and became very clear in time.

It's literally just the Real Ale yeast and the US Pale Ale yeast that I didn't get on with. I've mentioned before though, I suspect that it could well be that they're just not very tolerant of fermenting at temps much higher than 20 degrees C, where other yeasts are far more forgiving (the CML ones I like for example ALL ferment best at temps above 20 degrees C...). If you've gone to the lengths of building a brew fridge though, surely you'd go the extra bit further and use liquid yeasts rather than dried?

So no, rehydrating probably won't help. Keeping temperatures down though might, if you can.

What has having a brew fridge got to do with using liquid yeast?

I've used all except the saison yeast. My American wheat with the kristalweisen was good and my recent cream ale with cali common is good too. I've fermented brews both in and out the brew fridge with both real ale and American ale and all have been fine. The Belgian is on now but with a kit...the krausen is huge! That's on a heat plate so time will tell. I also have my first turbo cider to bottle..sample tasted promising but again a couple of months will decide.

The yeast arrived today in time for my brew, so I'll be making a best bitter with the real ale yeast. I'm keeping the OG quite low as most my beers lately have been coming out 6%+ and I'd like something more sessionable, plus I want to give the yeast an easy ride to see how it performs.

The ingredient quantities may seem a bit odd, that's because I'm using up old stock. This beer doesn't have a name yet.

Target FV Vol: 25L
Target kettle vol: 30L
OG: 1042
FG: 1009

Fermentables:
Pale malt: 1013g
Munich: 2987g
Black malt: 100g
Caramalt: 100g

Hops
26g Boadicea @ 60min
50g Fuggles @ F.O
EDIT: 12g Cascade @ FO
50g Fuggles Dry Hop

CML Real Ale yeast rehydrated

Hops are homegrown fuggles & Cascade harvested last September, dried and frozen immediately.

Mash temp: 66
Sparge 77
Ferment at 18-20c

Last edited:
Its good to use up stock
Let us know how the dry hop turns out as most would say this is best for bittering
I think there's a really old thread on here with fuggles as a dry hop but doubt the brewers are still online' (2011ish)
Was going to post a comment but didn't see the point although it is good when you got a reply ;)

I can still remember a summer beer two years ago using challenger and ekg and still believe it to be one of my best results and this was pimping a wilko copper bitter!
For nostalgia I'll be making this one again , glad I still have the recipe
Although I think I'll partial mash with Maris rather than the DME and table sugar!

Back