Freemasonry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Chippy, no objection from me if you lock the thread. Never come across this (In this way) before. :confused.:

Heard of them, know nothing about them except in this thread and don't know anyone who is one to my knowledge though I'm sure I work amongst them...

Just done some googling and found this from
PROVINCIAL GRAND LODGE OF
LONDONDERRY AND DONEGAL

"Freemasonry is one of the world’s oldest and largest non-religious, non-political, fraternal and charitable organisations. It teaches self-knowledge through participation in a progression of ceremonies. Members are expected to be of high moral standing and are encouraged to speak openly about Freemasonry.

It was stated many years ago that Freemasonry will not make a bad man good but will make a good man better.
Our Charity work reminds us to be always mindful of the needs of others less fortunate than ourselves.
In addition to Masonic Charity fundraising we fully support many charities in our local communities e.g. TLC (Teddies for Loving Care) where we supply teddies to A&E units in Causeway, Altnagelvin and Letterkenny hospitals, for children who are suffering particularly from trauma, injury or illness. In the last few years we have sponsored Children to Lapland/Disneyland (Paris) and supported many other local worthwhile non-masonic charities in Londonderry and Donegal. "

Last edited:
This is the most bizarre thread I've ever read on any forum, ever! Don't know diddly-squat about the Masons, but I've enjoyed many a fine pint at the Square and Compass in Worth Matravers. Seems all a bit "nudge, nudge, wink wink, Squire" from what you lot are saying. In any case, the whole thing smacks of "Establishment" and that's enough to make me run a mile.

Me too, my Football team has suffered at the hands of many a referee not the slightest interested about raising money for charity
An outdated strange bunch in my view, but then again my neighbours my say that about me

This is the most bizarre thread I've ever read on any forum, ever! Don't know diddly-squat about the Masons, but I've enjoyed many a fine pint at the Square and Compass in Worth Matravers. Seems all a bit "nudge, nudge, wink wink, Squire" from what you lot are saying. In any case, the whole thing smacks of "Establishment" and that's enough to make me run a mile.
The “Square and Compass in Worth Matravers” there’s a strange establishment. I stumbled on it 20 years ago and thought I was on the set of the “Wicker-Man”.

The only difference between Freemasons and the Rotary Club is history.

And before someone says "but it's seeeeecret!", the name of every member is published and freely available at the Freemason's Hall in London. They were putting it online but im not sure if it happened.

Is there cronyism? Possibly but no more than any other association such as belonging to the Bullingdon Club or a Fraternity.

Wouldn't have a clue (or the inclination) how to...

... It's dark blue with the pub name and the S & C (Masons) logo in white on the l/h tit!

I remember wearing one at West Bay, and an odd-ball type chap came up and asked which lodge I belonged to. He was most upset when I told him that it was just a pub that I liked to visit!

Just wondering if there are any other Freemasons on here (cue the ‘it’s a secret’) comments.

Strange old time at the moment with no Lodge or Chapter meetings so thought it might be a good idea to discover other members and perhaps come up with a themed beer!
Ready Lodge 4008 in the Province of Staffordshire. Senior Warden & Charity Steward.

No ideas for a themed beer but our local brewery in Stone, Lymestone Brewery, always has a "stone" in their beer names. I don't think he's a Freemason but there is vague masonry link there for you.

We're very lucky in our lodge there are at least about 10 of us with our own teeth etc. I think lodges go in cycles and ours is currently a good mix of ages. Fingers crossed we'll be back soon.

Best pub in the world!
Isn't it just. Here's a link for those who don't know it:
https://www.squareandcompasspub.co.uk/I've been to all the festivals, many times over, sadly all cancelled this year. Used to drive out to Tom's field and camp, or, after the camping season had finished, just throw up a tent anyway, sometimes in Charlie's garden with the effin' geese so as to to be out on the Purbecks and a session at the SandC. What tales I could tell. Happy daze.

Ready Lodge 4008 in the Province of Staffordshire. Senior Warden & Charity Steward.

No ideas for a themed beer but our local brewery in Stone, Lymestone Brewery, always has a "stone" in their beer names. I don't think he's a Freemason but there is vague masonry link there for you.

We're very lucky in our lodge there are at least about 10 of us with our own teeth etc. I think lodges go in cycles and ours is currently a good mix of ages. Fingers crossed we'll be back soon.

Wow, a couple of thousand younger than we are! Happy to meet!

Are you managing to hold meetings at the moment? We’ve not had a meeting since January and similar to you I should be going through the Chair this year (December) but not much chance of that. First time so I’m hoping to delay to next year even if things change.

I like the own teeth way of measuring age 😂 I’ll use that one

Wow, a couple of thousand younger than we are! Happy to meet!

Are you managing to hold meetings at the moment? We’ve not had a meeting since January and similar to you I should be going through the Chair this year (December) but not much chance of that. First time so I’m hoping to delay to next year even if things change.

I like the own teeth way of measuring age 😂 I’ll use that one
Same here. No meetings at present. Our Lodge has quite a range of health care professionals and elderly members so we decided not to meet.

Luckily we're doing 2 years each in the chair so I'm not due in till Jan 2022, may be Jan 2023 at this rate, fingers crossed!!

Back