Fridge Dimensions for Kegerator?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
I wonder if somebody could give me minimum internal dimensions for a fridge to be able to use as a kegerator with 2 corny kegs? Or other options?
Probably with enough height not to have to put the beer line through daft bends, or at the very least the height of a 19L corny keg.
Thanks

I wonder if somebody could give me minimum internal dimensions for a fridge to be able to use as a kegerator with 2 corny kegs? Or other options?
Probably with enough height not to have to put the beer line through daft bends, or at the very least the height of a 19L corny keg.
Thanks
I’m also thinking of building a kegerator. What make/models are best for fitting 2/3 19l Cornies without having to hack the plastic sides & door lining out?

Lots of people recommend a hotpoint rla under counter fridge. I’m in the middle of putting a kegerator together and got one off Facebook marketplace for £20. Fits two 19l kegs no bother.

Will also fit a small co2 canister in the back. Unfortunately the supplier I went to only had the 14lb canister which won’t fit inside so will need to keep it outside.

Attachments

• 14DADDAB-2BD3-4E5D-8556-5D9F2D3DB3F1.jpeg
    14DADDAB-2BD3-4E5D-8556-5D9F2D3DB3F1.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 85
why not cut 2 circles of paper that are the same size of the cornys and put them inside any prospective fridge to see if they will fit then a simple tape measure for the height

I asked exactly this a couple of weeks ago.

Cornies are ~230mm across. The widest part is the rim on the top and bottom rubber:

20210404_122356.jpg

You should make sure you have min. 460mm internal. Or if like mine you dont quite have that, you will need >230mm from the narrow part where the compressor is, to the door. This means they can sit offset:

20210404_122519.jpg

Be aware that not all fridges are standard 600mm wide. Mine is 550mm across external, so its narrower inside.

The shelf runners on mine impose on the inside measurement reducing it to just under 460mm, but as mentioned earlier, I have greater than 230mm front to back so I can have them offset and they just fit in.

20210404_122526.jpg

Come back to me if you need anymore measurements.

Th thing to be aware of is there are 2 different sizes of cornies - one is taller and slightly slimmer (most new cornies are this type) and some are shorter and fatter (most reconditioned ones are this size).

I can fit 3 reconditioned cornies in mine but I reckon if I had 2 new ones I could fit 2 and 2 in.

why not cut 2 circles of paper that are the same size of the cornys and put them inside any prospective fridge to see if they will fit then a simple tape measure for the height
Good idea, but I don't have ant to draw round and possibly even if it fits at the bottom something may possibly stop the door closing.

Th thing to be aware of is there are 2 different sizes of cornies - one is taller and slightly slimmer (most new cornies are this type) and some are shorter and fatter (most reconditioned ones are this size).

I can fit 3 reconditioned cornies in mine but I reckon if I had 2 new ones I could fit 2 and 2 in.
Thanks for that info, I think I am going to go with new anyway so that is well worth knowing.

You should make sure you have min. 460mm internal. Or if like mine you dont quite have that, you will need >230mm from the narrow part where the compressor is, to the door. This means they can sit offset:
Thank you, helpful post, our kitchen fridge sounds like yours, its about 450mm inside width, I'll look out for something slightly wider.
What is the total height of the cornies, once the disconnects are added? Do you keep your CO2 inside or out and if out have you drilled for the gas line?

I have decided to go with a tall 60 cm wide larder fridge. Starting with 2 reconditioned kegs. I figure that if I want to add more at a later date there is also the option to make a shelf above the existing kegs for new ones.

What is the total height of the cornies, once the disconnects are added? Do you keep your CO2 inside or out and if out have you drilled for the gas line?

Cornies are 563mm and the add another 60-80mm for disconnects and lines.

20210405_080810.jpg

I have also had to raise the kegs by 25mm or so as there is a protrusion on the door. This now goes under the kegs when the door shuts.

20210405_080921.jpg

CO2 cylinder is outside the fridge, about 3 metres run of gas line away.

I have drilled (I actually used a hot bit of metal to melt through the lining and insulation so that I didnt drill through any coolant lines) through the corner of the fridge to run the gas line inside the fridge.

20210405_081415.jpg

Cornies are 563mm and the add another 60-80mm for disconnects and lines.
Thank you again, very helpful and now the search for a fridge begins, nothing much on Market Place in my area and the hotpoint rla looks great for the job but a bit pricey brand new.

Don't discount a fridge where you need to remove the inner skin of the door if you can get it for the right price.

About 15 years ago, I bought a barely used Zanussi/Electrolux Zert6646 from a friend for £20 with the intention of using it as a fermentation chamber for beer and charcuterie.

That didn't happen and it sat in various outbuildings since. Recently, I bought two kegs having discovered both would fit. However, as I'd long removed the door to allow the interior to air, I didn't take into account the door 'furniture' and it I could only fit one keg inside.

For less than a couple of hours work carefully removing the seal and then pulling off the inner skin, trimming the foam with a serated knife (a bread knife works best), £26 of HIPS plastic and £10 of food-grade sealant/adhesive and I've solved the problem.

I'd recommend holding a vacuum nozzle close to where you're cutting so you don't get bits of foam everywhere. Also, you could get away with cheaper plastic and adhesive, but I wanted to keep my options open.

The cost for the plastic was for a whole sheet cut to size (plus carriage at £10) and the company send you the offcuts as well and as chance has it, the size I ordered was exactly half a sheet, so I ended up with two skins.

If anyone wants the other sheet of plastic -775mm x 523mm, I can let you have it for £6 (carriage TBC) and also the best part of the tube of adhesive for around £7. DM me if you're interested, or if you want details of where I bought the materials and any other tips I can think of.

I asked exactly this a couple of weeks ago.

Cornies are ~230mm across. The widest part is the rim on the top and bottom rubber:

View attachment 44551

View attachment 44552

Be aware that not all fridges are standard 600mm wide. Mine is 550mm across external, so its narrower inside.

The shelf runners on mine impose on the inside measurement reducing it to just under 460mm, but as mentioned earlier, I have greater than 230mm front to back so I can have them offset and they just fit in.

View attachment 44553

Come back to me if you need anymore measurements.

Hi @UKSkydiver , what model of fridge do you have?

Back