Fridge painting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rento

Reaction score
Hi,

For those who have painted their fridge with blackboard paint...

• Have you done any prep or primer?
  • can you use liquid chalk pens?
  • Is rustoleum chalk board paint cold for the job?
  • Does the finish last?
Thanks

R

There was a post on facebook I saw about an hour ago, the guy had made a really neat job of it, he said he 'sanded it down, primed it then 2 coats of chalkboard paint'
That's all I know, but am interested in doing this myself (when I get a fridge)

169247313_10164951868460565_7992583715876411633_n.jpg

I’ve not painted a fridge but have used rustoleum blackboard paint on my previous bar where the taps were mounted. It was fine but when I used the liquid chalk pens, they went on great but a bugger to get off and I ended up lifting two coats and the primer and hassle to repaint. Dry chalk went on fine and came off ok with a damp cloth.

I’ve not painted a fridge but have used rustoleum blackboard paint on my previous bar where the taps were mounted. It was fine but when I used the liquid chalk pens, they went on great but a bugger to get off and I ended up lifting two coats and the primer and hassle to repaint. Dry chalk went on fine and came off ok with a damp cloth.
I read that somewhere else about chalk pens bring a PIA too but wasn’t sure if that was because of wood base rather than metal.

Scuff up the fridge and paint the blackboard paint directly on. Takes two coats. The chalk pens are pretty useless to come off but I usually just dip a bit of a magic sponge in the paint tin and erase it that way. Takes about half an hour to dry and then you can write your next beer on.

I've painted my fridge with blackboard paint. Use standard chalk, wipe off with damp cloth. No prep. Very happy with it.

I’ve painted untold furniture in my 20+ years as a decorator. I painted my brew fridge last year with 3 coats of water based blackboard paint. Blackfriars I think.
First I keyed it with 120 grade sandpaper and wiped it with ESP, which is an easy surface primer. It helps the paint to bond. Should be able to pick it up at most trade paint shops.
I always think blackboards look better when they’ve been used a few times. I always wipe it clean with a damp cloth. If you use tissues you may get remnants of tissue left behind!

I have. Looked good initially but does show every mark or splash of beer.

I sanded the fridge first and did two coats. Don't use chalk pens, waste of time. I am going to buy some high gloss black tiles to stick on, I can then use chalk pens

Latest posts

Back