Fritz's Brewdays

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Fritzpoll85

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I'm settled in, I'll just post my brews into a single thread unless I'm doing anything odd/new!

Oatmeal Stout
Yesterday did a Jon Finch Oatmeal stout, but with the addition of 50g of Carafa Special II because I wanted it to be a bit darker. So the ingredients were:

4kg Crisp Pale Ale Malt
450g Oats
400g Crisp Crystal
400g Crisp Chocolate
200g Oat Husks
50g Carafa Special II

60g East Kent Goldings at 60min
1 pack of NBS Classic English Ale Yeast, which I rehydrated for a couple of hours before pitching.

Mashed at 67 degC to get a better body out of the beer, with a 75 degC mashout, and a 60min boil.

This was an odd brew because I've had these ingredients for ages - they were to let me brew with someone who wants to buy their own kit and wanted to see my AG setup, but then we've had 3 months of lockdown. So yesterday I set it all up outside and we had a socially-distanced homebrew!

In the excitement of having to occasionally grab an umbrella to protect the equipment, I forgot the water additions to change the alkalinity (though I remembered the sodium metabisulfate and CaCl). Bit annoying but it will mainly have affected the sparge, since my alk was 148ppm.

Target OG was 1.062. I seem to have hit 1.059 and it is now bubbling away at 19degC.

Here's a picture of the colour - it was like cola: black in bulk, but brown in thinner quantities. Will see how this pans out

20200620_141124.jpg

Fritzpoll85

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A day and a half on, and it's dropped to 1.022! Very active airlock yesterday, which has slowed down quite a bit. Rate it is going, I'll hit FG sometime this evening, but will probably let it sit for a couple of days once it's stopped fermenting

Fritzpoll85

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has very slowly drifted down to 1.018 and flattened off so I think I'm done. Going to leave it in there and then crash it down to 4 (all I can manage), then I'll gelatin fine it and bottle as this is a shared batch and my Helles is still on my only keg

Fritzpoll85

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was bottled a couple of weeks ago - carbonation is good. Coffee-like taste, but a little odd bitterness in the background aftertaste. Might need a couple of weeks to condition out? Next post will be forthcoming blue moon clone 'Blue Lunacy'

Fritzpoll85

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, I have all the ingredients I need for about another 5 brews, so here's the next one I will be doing

Blue Lunacy
This is based off a recipe from an original brewer of Blue Moon - I've made some changes and added some Caramunich to try and hit the colour of the current Blue Moon, and wanted to make sure I got some orange flavour in from the peels so have bulked those out a bit. I think this is one I'll have to make a few times to get the spice additions correct.

Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner - 2.2kg
Weyermann Wheat Malt - 1.9kg
Flaked oats - 700g
Weyermann Caramunich II - 250g
Oat husks - 250g

Boil Additions:
Hallertauer Mittelfruh (AA 3.9%) - 20.5g at 60min
Coriander seeds (crushed) - 20g at 10min
Sweet orange peel (dried) - 57g at 5mins

Safale US-05 for the yeast - probably ferment at 18degC with two vials of Clarity Ferm (for gluten reduction)

Mash at 67 degC for 60mins, mashout at 75 degC for 10mins