Fritz's Dunkelweizen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that before correction? If so then it's actually somewhere between 1.4 and 2.4° brix (depending which calculator you use), or between 1.005 and 1.009 FG.

That's before correction but I popped in a correction of 1.04 on the calculator as a rule of thumb (not having done the work to compute mine yet). The calculator said 1.005. Will leave it a couple of days to clean up a bit then keg/bottle.

Sorry for the earlier moan - just couldn't work out what was wrong!

So what do you reckon, busted tilt?

One of busted, badly calibrated, low on battery. I'll have an investigate once I've got the beer out (don't want to rummage in the beer too much!).

The temperature readings are drifting a bit now, so I wonder if it's just been stored improperly and running out of puff. Searching around, that could be the cause

20200604_195805.jpg

Tasting okay after kegging on Saturday at 1.2bar.

Only issue is my tap which is only giving me a trickle- can decide if it is the tap, connector or something else with the keg. But it means no head develops on the beer at the mo, which is visually disappointing

20200605_190024.jpg

Visual victory (thanks to my absolute genius.....in marrying an engineer who figured out what had gone wrong with the tap!)

Lots of malt character coming through alongside the alcohol. But still a little 'green' so will leave it another week

And....disaster. Keg is in an old fridge and the tap has somehow gotten knocked on and completely drained into the fridge and over the garage floor. Unsalvageable.

Gutted.

I almost immediately found this:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/
I'll pull a sample before sunset and see what it comes out with. Could just be that the tilt is horrifically off calibration

Edit: OK, so interestingly the refractometer now reads 5.6% brix compared to yesterday at 6.6% but the tilt hasn't moved. Combined with overnight bubbling at the airlock, and I think it is safe to question if the tilt is working. The calculator above pops that at 5.8% ABV, incidentally, which would be bang on target....maybe all is not lost? :-)
Is that before correction? If so then it's actually somewhere between 1.4 and 2.4° brix (depending which calculator you use), or between 1.005 and 1.009 FG.
This is a plain and honest question: is it really worth using a refractometer? It seems a mighty faff for unreliable results? What's the attraction?

And....disaster. Keg is in an old fridge and the tap has somehow gotten knocked on and completely drained into the fridge and over the garage floor. Unsalvageable.

Gutted.

Oh no! I’m gutted for you. I tipped 4 litres over my kitchen floor but would have been inconsolable if I lost the lot.

😭 😭 😭

This is a plain and honest question: is it really worth using a refractometer? It seems a mighty faff for unreliable results? What's the attraction?
I have one but I rarely use it, occasionally to check gravity after the mash or pre-boil but never for OG or FG.

Just had huge troubles using a hydrometer early on and managed to contaminate a lot of beer. Prefer small samples but its largely historical. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to curl up and be depressed for a bit

Maybe I need to get a tap that can't get knocked on. Dunno. A lot of work just poured itself away there. I haven't even gone in to clean it all up yet.
I don't blame you mate, that would be enough to put me off brewing for several years I think :confused:

Just had huge troubles using a hydrometer early on and managed to contaminate a lot of beer. Prefer small samples but its largely historical. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to curl up and be depressed for a bit
I'm going to pour myself a further pint I don't need in sympathy and solidarity. Sleep tight.

Latest posts

Back