From keg to bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dncpax

Reaction score
Hey 1st post here.
I‘m using one of those simple 5l keg kits. It says put in freezer after fermentation, for 2 days to let it settle and then drink from the keg.
Im wondering if I can instead bottle the beer? Will it loose carbonation? If so can I compensate adding sugar/something else to each bottle?

Thanks for any pointers.

Welcome!
While most would know what you mean, I'm not familiar with the specifics. If you post the exact link to the kit, I'd be happy to help.
Otherwise, I'm sure someone will come along soon with advice.
Cheers.

It says put in freezer after fermentation, for 2 days to let it settle

Welcome to the forum.

I know instructions often say put somewhere cold but its the first time i have seen a freezer being mentioned wouldn't it freeze solid in two days meaning it wouldn't settle. :confused.:

I found Brau Fasschen (sp?) which is the type you're using. As Chippy mentions, no freezing but you should keep the beer a degree or two above for best results for the lagering effect.
So, to your questions:
The beer is finished and carbonated while in the keg.
1652642881747.png
I don't suggest it but you could transfer to sanitized bottles and cap them using the above tool. You'll be exposing the finished beer to oxygen and would lose some carbonation. The big problem is you could also likely run into foaming over. Big mess, maybe not worth even trying. That kit recipe is designed to be finished in the provided keg so I wouldn't go off the instructions.
If you were to put all those ingredients, to begin with, in a fermenting vessel with an airlock and let it ferment completely, then you could safely add some sugar to each bottle and then cap. This would start up the fermentation again for carbonation.
Again, better to just buy a kit designed to be bottled. Folks here can provide some solid kit suggestions.

I found Brau Fasschen (sp?) which is the type you're using. As Chippy mentions, no freezing but you should keep the beer a degree or two above for best results for the lagering effect.
So, to your questions:
The beer is finished and carbonated while in the keg.View attachment 68473I don't suggest it but you could transfer to sanitized bottles and cap them using the above tool. You'll be exposing the finished beer to oxygen and would lose some carbonation. The big problem is you could also likely run into foaming over. Big mess, maybe not worth even trying. That kit recipe is designed to be finished in the provided keg so I wouldn't go off the instructions.
If you were to put all those ingredients, to begin with, in a fermenting vessel with an airlock and let it ferment completely, then you could safely add some sugar to each bottle and then cap. This would start up the fermentation again for carbonation.
Again, better to just buy a kit designed to be bottled. Folks here can provide some solid kit suggestions.
ok I'll do that. I started with this kit because it was simpler. But now I'm thinking of buying ingredients and use the keg to do the fermentation process. You know, "cook" the grain using a brew bag and cermet on the keg. It has a pressure valve and an outlet so it seems to me it should be ok. What do you think?

What do you think?
That keg is supposed to be a one-time use, right? I wouldn't reuse it, personally, but I could be wrong and others will tell you they do it all the time.
Sure, buy the ingredients that are based on a recipe. Then, my advice is, if bottling is preferred, invest in a correctly sized fermenter. Sizes to make a 19L (5 gallons) batch is common but 1/5th of that amount works too and anywhere in between.
If kegging is preferred, maybe someone here can offer advice on a vessel for kegging that is designed to be used again and again.

By "cook" it sounds like you're referring to brew in a bag maybe? That's where you steep a large amount of grain to get the base liquid. Or you're just speaking of a making an extract brew (LME, hops, etc.) on the stove?

There's quite a bit to learn at first but once you understand it well, it verges on being simple (after the fact).

yes I'm referring to brew in a bag. I'm thinkin this keg is really just a fermentation really. So if I just sterilise it I could reuse it for that. It's small sure, but for now it would be ok.

Latest posts

Back