Frosty brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Decided needed something nutty brown (I know, nutty, very appropriate for me :!: ) for a winters ale :idea: forgot I'd done a Riggwelter, which I'd brewed back in MAY :shock: came across the bottles last night when I was ratching around 'the den' and suddenly realised what #21 was ..... and it was delicious :cheers:

So, currently in the mash tun is ...

Crisps Pale Malt 4kg
Munich malt .300g
Torrefied wheat .300g
Crystal malt .200g
Black malt .50g

hops for later

@ 90 mins
Challenger 15g
Fuggles 15g

@15mins
EKG's 20g

Yeast = Safale 05

Brewmate ...
OG 1.046
FG 1.012
ABV 4.52 %
IBU 25.7
EBC 26.7

should be a nice nutty brown colour and ready for after christmas, don't need any for christmas this year .... we're away, the last of our 'elders', (parents and ancient Aunt have all now passed away), the kids are both away, one with better half @ her parents, other in Oz, first year we're on our own ! so decided to go away for the hols :thumb:

That looks very nice Barry I think I need to copy that one :hmm: :hmm:

Have a great day, and don't freeze your nuts of in the den :lol: :lol:

Ohhh it's quite big, it's an old workshop 16ftx12ft, attached to the side of the garage ........ there are 3 lots of cupboards like this in 'the den' :thumb:
2h2dy15.jpg

Each section (handily) holds about 35 pint bottles so there's 140 pints in each cupboard :party:

I keep moving the 'stock' so I use the older stuff up, but, and its a big but, I keep putting a few of each away in cardboard boxes and leave 'em stacked in the garage.

.... the other cupboards are mostly full of fishing gear :whistle: although MrsC does have one double wall unit for jars of chutneys etc ;)

Down to 1.011 today, wonder if thats down to the 05 yeasties, they're a real hungry mob, regularly surprised at how much 'work' they get though and how quickly :!: give it another day or three and check it again then drop it into a clean FV for a few days prior to bottling. Smells teriffic, tasted OK but needs time to 'come to' :thumb:

Hmmmmm dropped another point today now @ 1.010, think I'm going to have another look at the colour, its a darker brown than a pale ale, but not got that 'reddy' brown colour I'm looking for :hmm:

Think I'm going to have to double the crystal malt next brew to go a bit redder (or my next order to Rob will have to be Dark Crystal Malt) :!:

Don't you just love this hobby, testing stuff out :geek:

If you can find it Baz carared or caraamber will add a good deep ruby colour - :thumb:

Great looking brew though!

Bottled last week and now just trying a taster ........... it's a very nice nutty brown brew :thumb:

Chestnut brown coluor, not quite got the hint of red I was hoping for, but its certainly a very gluggable pint, lightly carbonated at the moment, will move 'em out to storage in a few more days :drink:

Latest posts

Back